Author Topic: chasing my first ring ,now with a pic( updated )  (Read 9649 times)

Offline sailordad

Re: chasing my first ring ,now with a pic
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2008, 11:54:56 pm »
o.k. so i've  been scraping off and on today as time allowed.

now i'm wondering, when you get down to the darker growth ring, is going to be the yellow layer on the back ( i assume thats it ),or is it going to be the whiter colored layer?

it looks like im to the third ring like wanted,when looking at the end of the stave,but not real sure.

thanks
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2008, 12:05:32 am »
The rings you want will be yaller and hard. The early growth between them is lighter colored, softer, spongy (like petrified swiss cheese), and makes a crunchy sound as you scrape it off.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2008, 12:12:25 am »
Like Hillbilly said - the early growth will be lighter and crunchy sounding while your scraping with drawknife. Be sure to turn your drawknife with the tapered edge away from you once you've reached the ring you want. Hold the blade at a ninety degree angle to the wood and scrape off the crunchy stuff (not too deep) and there you have your back.
  PatB  is absolutely right about concentrating on the stave your working also. I suppose It's permissible to toy with the idea of your next bow, but focus on the one your working - patience is a virtue I've heard ;D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2008, 12:48:12 am »
ya, i took Patb's advice already and put all other staves out of sight( cause like my wife says,im already out of my mind lol )

hillbilly and cowboy: thank you for your input, i thought the yellower ( if thats a word ) was the right one to stop at. and ya that lighter colored layer was crunchy
                             and since ive picked up this hobby/addiction ive learned patience,havent learned to build a bow from a stave yet ( only from purchased floor tillered
                              staves ) but i suppose all good things come to those that wait patiently. so i figure if this works out, not only will i be happy that i made one from a
                              stave,but the next door neighbors little girl will be happy also 8)
thanks everyone, i will try to keep y'all updated on this sliver of a stave.

peace,
                                                                              tim

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2008, 11:19:19 am »
If it looks like that on both ends and that thickness I would put a small wedge in it about 5 rings down and make 2,I'm the stingy type.Looks good on about all of them to me. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline sailordad

« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2008, 02:20:32 am »
PAPPY, it does look like that on both ends and is about the same thickness. however being a newbie i dont want to chance wrecking it.
and thank you for the bow demensions,when i start on the full size stave i will post pics for ya.

tim

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2008, 07:25:03 am »
I hear ya Tim,I was looking at the wrong side of the rule anyway,I thought it was 4 inches
not a little over 2. :) I would pick on a couple down and go for it.Nice piece. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2008, 10:10:20 am »
Tim, you probably know this already...but the darker ring is what you're after to be the back of your bow. When you're nearing the ring you've selected to be the back of your bow, approach it with care. The thinner light color rings are soft and have a honey comb look about them. Your draw knife will want to follow those rings because they're softer and less resistance. If possible, the dark ring you choose as the back should be entirely exposed without digging into it at all. Be careful, take your time and use a scrapper and not your drawknife to do the final cleaning up of the honey comb remnants of the lighter color ring. That selected dark ring when you've cleaned it up and it's ready to draw a bow on should be smooth as silk without any gouches or scratches.

PatB gave you excellant advice before, this stave should easily yield an excellant adult bow. Post pictures of your progress if you can.

Greg
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2008, 06:38:06 pm »
Hay Tim:
Glad you are having some fun with that splinter.  It was in the burn pile at one time. ::)  I just could not do it and pulled it out. ;)
You have gotten some good advice here. Use a scraper to clean up the back and don't get in a hurry.

If you can take a photo of the progress you have made on the back.  We would love to see it.

David   
David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2008, 06:45:48 pm »
I'd personally chase to the upper one Hillbilly marked, because that would put that other good thick ring right around the bow's belly.  I feel like its important to have good wood at the belly, maybe more important than the back given the fact that the belly is usually the weak link in a selfbow.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2008, 11:56:58 am »
I was looking at the wrong side of the tape as well and thinking you had a 4" deep stave. That is a one bow stave for sure. I wouldn't try to get two out of your other stave either, you need about 4" thick to piggy back easily.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2008, 12:27:02 pm »
Lennie, that's a great point, makes a lot of sense. I'd never really thought about that aspect much before. That's one thing I love about this board, always picking up little useful factoids.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2008, 10:41:25 pm »
well, i havent been workingon this all that much,messed up my shoulder again so ive been down for about a week.

i just got back to it last night and decided to go all the way down to that fifth ring( the second one that hillbilly marked ) only cause i messed up and cut thru the third ring lol.
but hey im still learning.
i really like this wood,it feels good,it smeels good and so far it seems to work good also.
now the narrowest part of this little sliver is near the handle area, it is about 5/8 inch wide there, so now i'm thinking that i should go with  a bend in the handle style bow and i was thinking to keep that width to the tips also. i do have pics and questions to go with them. however i will need to post them later this evening as the wife wants to go get something to eat now.
so after supper i will post pics for everyones opinion and or entertainment. :D ;)

well back from supper,as promised pics

in this one you can see that it has a lateral bend to it
i was wondering whats the best way to try and straighten? i'll worry about twist later if need be.

as you can see ( i hope ) it has some reflex,approx 1 inch

now as i stated earlier, at its narrowest point its 5/8 inch wide.
would it be safe to maintain that width an still have a shootible youth bow. nothing real stout,or a real long draw length.this sliver is 57 inches long and still about 7/8 inch thick.

any input is always welcomed,and appreciated.

tim
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 12:19:16 am by sailordad »