Author Topic: Rawhide patch a success!  (Read 2959 times)

Offline Easternarcher

Rawhide patch a success!
« on: March 17, 2008, 12:05:00 am »
I got a fret starting at the fade on both limbs directly off the riser of my hick backed Jatoba bow. 47# @ 27". Nothing really serios yetbut, I want to add a rawhide patch, maybe on (both belly and back)?? to stabilize the area...I'm thinking on wrapping over the patches with thread soaked in superglue??

Am I on the right track here? If anybody has done this I'd appreciate the proper how-to. Or maybe a wood patch?
Thanks.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 11:09:29 pm by Easternarcher »

Offline Gordon

Re: Need help with rawhide patching!
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 01:12:31 am »
I rehydrate the rawhide in warm (not hot) water for about 20 minutes. Then I pat it down well with a towel to remove excess moisture. Then gel superglue to fasten the patch to the belly area that has begun to fret. Let dry and then wrap with serving thread. For bad compression fractures I use a wood patch.
Gordon

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 10:12:06 pm »
Thanks Gord....how would you say they hold up? Do I still need to worry about it blowin' up?

Offline Gordon

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 10:13:58 pm »
I've used this technique a handful of times and all the bows are still fine. I would not use rawhide for a bad crysalling problem, however,
Gordon

PK

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008, 02:39:19 am »
Gordon's tip is a good one, Ive used it twice and had success with both. :)

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2008, 11:08:38 pm »
Well, I fixed this hickory backed Jatoba back in February, but we've just had so much snow, I couldn't find a place to try it out afterwards...But I tried it tonite.

I glued down a rawhide patch with TBIII both belly and back on the crack that showed just off the fade on the lower limb. I also added the same treatment to the upperlimb(just in case) and to balance it out. While the patches were still pliable I served the entire patch with braided serving and doused it with superglue, actually several coats til it seemed it would not soak in anymore.

The arrows are not properly spined, but I had to try it out. 12 yards first group. I later actually drove one arrow through my shed wall (5/8 pine shiplap)... :oHad to unscrew the tip from inside the shed! I had designated this bow to bunny hunt status, but after seeing that, I think she may have to go deerhunting with me this fall. ;)

At least the bow is holding together. I have confidence in her again! :)