Author Topic: will a shorter bow......  (Read 5770 times)

kdub

Re: will a shorter bow......
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2008, 12:10:48 am »
yall be ready for all my questions.  It seems that the $ invested in a new bow that I  "want" (I already have 5 bows)  would be better spent on the materials needed to start making bows.  That is something that Ive been wanting to do anyways, and then I would be able to have tons of bows,.  It would be so cool to take a boar with a bow that I made myself. Thanks for all the info and encouragement yall.
Kayl

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2008, 12:16:48 am »
yes, im sure its great to take something with "your own hands" ive only hunted never killed anything yet and its exciting alone.
Modern Day Tramp

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2008, 03:22:18 am »
Bows in the 60-66" range can be just as durable as the 66-72" range.  The trick is knowing how wide to make the bow for the specific type of wood you will be using.  This "trick" is covered in TBB.  As a general rule, the less set a bow takes, the longer it will last.

In my opinion, osage and hickory are the two best woods you can use to begin building bows.  If you look hard enough you don't have to spend a whole lot of money on hickory or osage staves.  A lot of guys are even willing to trade something for it. ;D  Sometimes you can find branches or saplings of these woods (for free or very cheap) that will make fine bows.

If you want to gain some experience before working the "good stuff" I don't recommend lumberyard oak.  I think ash is a better choice....it's slightly less brittle.  The best wood for experimenting (in my view) comes from tree trimmings, fallen trees, and bulldozed tress.  Make sure the wood is insect free and green.

Another important thing to keep in mind is the level of humidity the bow will be exposed to.  Hickory is good in dry climates and osage is good in humid climates.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

kdub

« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2008, 12:09:03 pm »
we do have osage around here, and with some of the recent storms I bet that some got blown down,  I should go look for some free wood.