Author Topic: Tempered bamboo  (Read 7520 times)

Offline akila

Tempered bamboo
« on: April 16, 2008, 04:49:11 pm »
Hi....i wanna ask you abute this temperd thing....is there a secret on how should i do this...i know that the heat treatment it has to be done on the inside surface of the bamboo and that i have to move the heat gun all the time, becose bamboo its verry tricky on this , and iff you are not paying atention its verry easy to burn bamboo....but is there something els beside that>??? i know that i have to heat the bamboo until  it get that brown colore right??? so this is what i wanna ask you... is there a secret in tempering bamboo..... ;D...i hope you can share it with me....thks

Offline Canerod

• High Country Guide Service
Re: Tempered bamboo
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 12:34:41 am »
I haven't used bamboo on a bow yet, but I do make bamboo flyrods as part of my business. Keep in mind, all of my experience has been with Tonkin bamboo. I have read where bowyers use some other species, i.e. Moso, and I'm not sure how these would react vs. Tonkin.

In rodmaking, we basically use 3 different methods of heat-treating the bamboo. In the first, an oven is used, taking the bamboo to 350* for 10-15 minutes. You'll have to experiment with the oven, but a heat gun powered tubular is the cheapest to make. In the second method, referred to as "flaming", a propane torch is passed over the enamel, or outer, side od the bamboo. Try to keep the flame moving slowly, and pay attention to the enamel crisping. The color you want to shoot for is generally 2 shades darker than you want to end up with. You'll lightly sand with 220-300 grit before putting a finish on. In the third method, the outer color of the bamboo is not changed, but the bamboo is still tempered. In this method, you again use a propane torch, but you flame the inner pith side. Since the pith is very soft and porous, it will immediately flame up and then go to a "coal" look. Here's a link on what you want to happen http://www.rodbuildingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=13648  This shows the outer nodal surfaces sanded down for rodmaking, but you can prep the nodes however you want.

All three of these methods will temper the bamboo and speed up it's action, plus remove moisture. The faster you finish backing the bow and get a finish on the bamboo, so it can't re-absorb moisture, the quicker the bamboo stays.

Hope this made sense to ya, feel free to PM me if you have any questions,

Canerod
Kevin Little
Registered Maine Guide
Bamboo Rodmaker
Displaced Hillbilly