Author Topic: difference in limb thickness  (Read 3795 times)

Offline Hickoryswitch

difference in limb thickness
« on: April 22, 2008, 10:13:06 am »
I'm working on an ash flat bow 68'' ntn. One limb has bout 11/2 of relex and the other is straight. The reflexed limb is considerably stiffer but is thinner in depth. I was wondering if i need to keep thinning this limb or just reflex the other limb. By the way this is a decrowned stave so I'm afraid to induce to much stress into it. Please any help would be much appreciated.
Wayne Silverthorn

Offline Badger

Re: difference in limb thickness
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 11:01:52 am »
When one limb is reflexed and one is deflexed it can be deceptive. The stiff limb could suddenly start to weaken as you draw the bow out further. I would tend to reflex the other limb to match and then tiller from there, Go slow and excersize the limbs a lot everytime you gain an inch of draw length. Steve

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 11:15:46 am »
I agree with Badger. I would back it since you decrowned it. When tillering a reflexed stave remember they show high early draw weight so watch that so you don't come under weight. The other thing is with a reflexed stave try not to thin too much; sometimes you have to narrow it to bring the tiller home. Jawge 
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 12:43:05 pm »
...also to what Steve and George said...but also, true till is seen at full draw and limb thickness, or the difference between the two, is less of a concern than a good full draw profile.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2008, 02:06:40 pm »
I'm with Badger, if you haven't trained it to bend too much yet I'd maybe try and match the limbs up a little with some heat.  Don't know if ash will hold a bend, I haven't had much luck with white woods but I'm told they can be bent.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2008, 02:34:21 pm »
Been workin on an ash r/d and have had to put the heat to it many times, seems to keep about 1/3 of what you put in it. I finally toasted it on the last round and that seemed to help a bunch, good luck.....Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....