Author Topic: bamboo design  (Read 3100 times)

Offline possum

bamboo design
« on: April 09, 2008, 02:42:58 pm »
Well, I'm working on a BBO and I was just wondering about a simple design that will provide a good bow for a first try.  The osage is 1 3/8 at the narrowest which happens to be in the working portions so that is the widest it can go.  The bamboo is a little wider so we're good there.  It is also 1/8 give or take a few thousandths.  Should I reflex it at glue up to compensate for some set?  I'm hoping for around 45@26.  I'm not sure of the length but I believe I have enough length.  Hold on.  OK, I have 63.5" on the osage and 85.5 on the boo and osage is 3/4" thick for the whole length and I will be gluing on a handle.  I have absolutely no clue on these bows but I always wanted one.  Also, will TB3 work for this?

possum
"To ensure peace, security, and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that is good." George Washington

mebane NC

Offline snedeker

Re: bamboo design
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 02:58:40 pm »
 1 3/8 is a good width and 63" is a good length. 1/8 is fine for the boo and TB3 is great. Sand the boo and osage before glueup. Put some prelim thickness taper in the 3/4 inch osage slat first.  Something short of floor tiller will do, although some like to pretty much tiller it to a low weight. Put in a couple inches of reflexes in glue up.  You can make a simple form from a 2x4 and some short scraps. 

Dave

Offline possum

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 03:05:11 pm »
OK, I glued it up yesterday and wrapped with and inner tube and clamped it and put about, 4" I'm guessing of reflex.  I used Titebond 2.  How long should I let it set?  I can't fit the form in a drying box and the garage is in the high 60's low 70's.

possum

just wondering because I need clamps for my backpack bow challenge. :D
"To ensure peace, security, and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that is good." George Washington

mebane NC

Offline Badger

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 03:53:32 pm »
Possum, you should be able to clean it all up today and tomorrow start tillering it. In warm weather I iroutinely floor tiller out 24 hours after glueing and then finish tiller the next day. 4" is quite a bit of reflex. Steve

Offline possum

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008, 05:07:03 pm »
I figured I may lose 1-1 1/2 when I take it off the form.
possum

mebane NC