Author Topic: north sentinel island bows  (Read 2186 times)

Online GlisGlis

north sentinel island bows
« on: May 29, 2019, 10:35:28 am »
I stumbled on a curious image while searching for bows pics

and from there I had to read a couple of very interesting articles about north sentinel island people
https://www.themorningbulletin.com.au/news/hair-raising-story-behind-mysterious-shipwreck-off/3589787/
https://bangkokjack.com/2018/11/29/north-sentinel-island-the-worlds-most-uncivilized-place/
Sorry for the direct links but there is no way to signal you this interesting story without them

True primitive archers !!  )P(
As I saw the bows I though "overbuilt". they look massive but they cannot be 100# more....are they?
what do you think ?

Offline Ryan Jacob

Re: north sentinel island bows
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2019, 11:19:27 am »
Are those black palm bows? The ones the natives use here are overbuilt to avoid set, humidity is really high.

Online GlisGlis

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2019, 02:09:21 am »
Are those black palm bows?
who can say? in the articles they say this tribes are truly primitive. the island is left on its own and a missionary who disembarked was killed

Offline Ryan Jacob

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2019, 03:19:32 am »
It’s just some speculation since its a prominent wood in south east asia.

Offline Hamish

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2019, 05:15:30 pm »
I think its the same region as the Andaman Is. They use very wide flat bows, sometimes have a weird side profile where one limb looks reflexed and the other looks deflexed. These bows don't appear to have that configuration.
I don't think these would be black palm, as palm bows are almost always long and narrow. I couldn't say what timber they have used, but almost any reasonable hardwood will make a bow when wide and flat.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2019, 10:53:35 pm »
Those folks don't seem to cotton to visitors, so it may be a long while before we figure it out! (SH) :NN
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2019, 04:57:51 am »
   I have to be immature here and say the guy 2nd from the right scored on the helicopter rotor...He's got that dance move...The rest of the guy's are like hell yea nice shot...
                                                                                                                                                                                    Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline ohma2

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2019, 08:25:43 am »
I posted a enhanced andoman a few years back i made from maple back walnut belly after reading about the primitive tribe.it was the same style that Baker in the bibles calls eifel tower bow.if i remember right it was 62 long about 4"wide and did a straight taper to 3/8 tips 42@ 27.it shot 400 grn at 176 fps.the wallnut was so thin it crysalled after shooting a while.gave it to a friend for a wall hanger..