Author Topic: wax finishes over snakeskin  (Read 3095 times)

Offline Titan_Bow

wax finishes over snakeskin
« on: April 09, 2008, 03:35:34 pm »
Anyone apply a wax finish over snakeskin?  How does the wax adhere/penetrate the snakeskin versus wood?   I am working on my hunting bow for this year and remember reading that wax did the best job at moisture protection.  I applied a parrafin finish to a bow a few years ago and really liked how it turned out, but I am a little concerned how its going to do over snakeskin?   Anyone does this before?  How did it turn out?
"Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by

Offline Lost Arra

Re: wax finishes over snakeskin
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 04:01:08 pm »
I've used paraffin over rawhide and it worked fine. 
I've only used poly on my snakeskins.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 06:39:15 pm »
The snake skins should be pretty water proof by itself. If you use TBIII to glue down the skins and add a coat of TBIII over the skins you shouldn't have any worries about moisture. You can add your usual finish over the TBIII with no problems.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 11:36:54 pm »
I did, ...keep the gun on the wax and let it melt on the skins, than just do a fast passage on the skins with the gun at low to even the wax out (this just after you dripped it so it's still plenty warm and will need only minimal work) doing it this way won't hurt the skins or the glue under them.
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII