Author Topic: Pressure washers  (Read 1210 times)

Offline DC

Pressure washers
« on: May 04, 2019, 11:21:24 am »
We just bought a pressure washer so I thought I would try it for removing bark. it's a small electric Simoniz that has 1900 psi. I tried it on dry Yew and dry Hazel. With the yew and a lot of time I got a nice clean back but I think it would be faster to scrape off the outer bark and use the washer to remove the fuzzy stuff and get a nice clean back. Pre soaking would help a lot. With the Hazel I got clean bark. No matter what I did, just clean bark. So I'm thinkin' 1900 psi isn't enough. I'll try it later on a green Hazel. That won't prove much though because the bark comes right of green Hazel. This may help someone pick a pressure washer when they need one to "clean the siding"  ;) ;) ;) ;)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Pressure washers
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2019, 01:00:59 pm »
I don't think you can have to much pressure DC it really helps if you have one that has a burner that makes hot water to. It really is still a kinda nasty job,but it sure does leave a beautiful back.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Rākau

• Aotearoa-the land of the long white cloud
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2019, 01:20:20 pm »
I imagine that the amount of pressure you would need to get the bark off really tough species would be so high that it would end up cutting into the back? what do you think?

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2019, 01:26:04 pm »
I imagine that the amount of pressure you would need to get the bark off really tough species would be so high that it would end up cutting into the back? what do you think?
That's what I was concerned with when I first heard of this but apparently they work fine. I just thought I'd mention that the household variety won't work so someone wouldn't go out and buy one like mine. Mine works great for cleaning siding but not for removing bark. For that get a high pressure(well over 1900psi)

Offline Rākau

• Aotearoa-the land of the long white cloud
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2019, 11:44:37 am »
Hmm a mate of mine has a 3000 psi water-blaster (as we call them over here) that he uses for fleshing skins (it does a very good job btw, and far less trouble than a fleshing knife) might be worth a shot.

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2019, 12:33:22 pm »
Start off about a foot a way and then sneak up on it. I used mine to clean up a Yew stave yesterday. I took all the outer bark off with a dullish draw knife, soaked the inner bark for an hour and then pressure washed it. Nice pristine back :D :D