Author Topic: Sinew backed cherry?  (Read 2197 times)

Offline Mafort

Sinew backed cherry?
« on: March 24, 2019, 02:29:34 pm »
Has anyone done a sinewbacked cherry bow? I have a stave of it about 50” long and I was funna sinew back it with elk sinew

Offline bradsmith2010

Re: Sinew backed cherry?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2019, 02:44:36 pm »
I have not done it,, but most wood that will make a bow,, does ok with sinew,,

Offline sleek

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2019, 04:35:47 pm »
Has anyone done a sinewbacked cherry bow? I have a stave of it about 50” long and I was funna sinew back it with elk sinew
Its the only way I will make a cherry bow. Otherwise its too brittle for me. Others have had luck, me.... ive had bad luck and that explosion is the only bow that hurt... and it hurt a lot.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Mafort

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2019, 04:49:37 pm »
Its the only way I will make a cherry bow. Otherwise its too brittle for me. Others have had luck, me.... ive had bad luck and that explosion is the only bow that hurt... and it hurt a lot.

Lesson learned. I’ll take the advice and try it

Offline Mafort

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2019, 07:52:19 am »
Sooo what would be the best way to go about this design wise? Wide and flat? Should I strip off the sapwood? It’s got a daily flat back already and o heard the sapwood takes set like it’s nobodies business but I don’t have much experience with cherry. I think it’s black cherry.

Offline bassman

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2019, 12:52:34 am »
Our Natives made sinew backed wild choke cherry bows ,and choke cherry arrows.Ones that I made were self bows.One blew up on me ,and broke my glasses in half ,and put a number on my left eye after I had shot roughly 300 or better arrows out of it. I was lucky. Worst blow up  I ever had making bows.It is brittle wood, and when it blows it blows.Still have 2, but will not shoot them until I sinew back them.They are 2 inches wide at the fades tapered to 5/8 at the tips . 62 inches long ,and draw 26 inches.BE CAREFUL WITH CHERRY WOOD. JMHO.

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2019, 12:01:51 pm »
I've tried 2 unbacked black cherry staves. One stave had some natural deflex and is still a functional shooter 35# @28"68 tip to tip. I made it for my father who draws 28" but I have shot it myself drawing about 29.5" with no issues. The other stave was the opposite side of the same log, and had some natural reflex, it kersploded on the tillering tree at about 50# at 14". Like bassman said when cherry blows, it BLOWS. 
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 12:15:18 pm by IrishJay »
"The best camouflage pattern is called, 'Sit down and be quiet!' Your grandpa hunted deer in a red plaid coat, think about that for a second." - Fred Bear

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2019, 12:02:15 pm »
Beware the first tree to hit the ground when the wind blows.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.