Author Topic: Color change required for compression benefits?  (Read 4583 times)

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
Re: Color change required for compression benefits?
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2019, 12:30:17 am »
Simon have you watched the temperature at which they brown? I should but I haven't. I have noticed that some brown way quicker. I've been putting that off to high sugar content. But some, Hazel I think, just seem to soak up the heat and take forever to brown. High moisture content would do that but all my staves have been curing for two years at least so I don't think it's that.

Sorry DC, I also haven't. My hg is an electronic, but has no temperature scale, just numbers from 1 - 10  :(
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline lonbow

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2019, 03:12:24 am »
I´ve got one more question about locking recurves with dry heat. Do I have to clamp the recurves while I treat them with heat or do they keep their shape without clamping them?

Offline leonwood

• Leonwood Bows
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2019, 04:37:06 am »
I´ve got one more question about locking recurves with dry heat. Do I have to clamp the recurves while I treat them with heat or do they keep their shape without clamping them?

Always leave them in the form or the recurves will pull out when heated again!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2019, 04:57:58 am »
I'd leave them clamped. There is a chance they could move if not clamped.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC