Author Topic: Anyone ever build a plains-gullwing style bow?  (Read 16932 times)

Offline IrishJay

Re: Anyone ever build a plains-gullwing style bow?
« Reply #60 on: February 19, 2019, 05:56:06 pm »
With the shooting string its 50# at about 24" so I have a bit more tillering to bring it back out to my 29.5" draw length. As mentioned above I've tillered it out to 50# @ 29.5" 3 times so far, shortening the string up a little each time. I'll see if I can get my wife to take a pic while I draw it on the tiller rig later so you guys can see the limbs bend.
"The best camouflage pattern is called, 'Sit down and be quiet!' Your grandpa hunted deer in a red plaid coat, think about that for a second." - Fred Bear

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #61 on: February 19, 2019, 07:41:24 pm »
Here it is with the shooting string (AMO 72" Dacron), drawn to 50#. The dark line drawn on the 2×4, just above the scale, is my 29.5" draw length.

"The best camouflage pattern is called, 'Sit down and be quiet!' Your grandpa hunted deer in a red plaid coat, think about that for a second." - Fred Bear

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #62 on: February 20, 2019, 11:00:47 am »
that looks good

Offline hoosierf

« Reply #63 on: February 20, 2019, 11:22:56 am »
Yes it does. It’ll be interesting to see how it performs. Good work.

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #64 on: February 20, 2019, 11:31:55 am »
Thanks for the kind words gents. It'll probably take a couple days for me to work out those last few inches of tiller as I'll be taking it slow to keep them even and such. But I'll keep you all posted.

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #65 on: February 23, 2019, 04:22:17 pm »
Still working on finish sanding, but shes far enough along to put a couple test arrows through. I dont have a chrono, but by eyeball I'd say she seems pretty fast. Low brace height makes an arm guard a requirement as it bites the wrist pretty hard. Still has not taken any additional set.

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #66 on: March 09, 2019, 03:06:30 pm »
First off, sorry for the Lazarus action on this old thread. I'm still working on this bow, after sanding it down with 60 grit and toasting the belly she's sitting at 54lbs @ 29.5" So I'm probably going to give it a few more scrapes and re-toast because I want to be at 50lbs. I figured this was a good time to put some test arrows through it before final sanding with 300 grit, stain and tip overlays.

So, after putting a few dozen arrows through it I can say its shots well, and fast, though it's not the smoothest drawing bow, it stacks up a bit at the end of the draw, hence I'm taking the 4lbs off.

My question to you guys, what causes string thrum?  As I said it shoots well, but it has the most string vibration at the end of the shot that I've ever seen. Is there anything I can do to minimize this with my final bit of tillering, or dampen it with the mass of the tip overlay?

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #67 on: March 09, 2019, 04:52:28 pm »
Here are a couple of full draw pics, for any who have been following the build.

Offline ohma2

« Reply #68 on: March 10, 2019, 09:34:22 am »
Can you post a pic drawing the bow with an arrow?

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #69 on: March 10, 2019, 01:06:43 pm »
Reducing the tips as much as possible without bending will help

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #70 on: March 10, 2019, 01:42:57 pm »
Brad, thanks for the advice. I have about 60 arrows through it now, the reflex from the handle to midlimb is holding nicely. But, it is taking some set from midlimb to the tips. I'll post an unbraced pic shortly. With the set in the outer limbs the draw has gotten much smoother and while I haven't pulled it with the scale yet I sure its lost a little weight. So I'm going to continue shooting it as is for now, to see where the set ends up before I mess with it any further.

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #71 on: March 10, 2019, 04:17:50 pm »
Unbraced, midlimbs are about 1.5" forward of the handle. Limb tips have about .25" string follow.