Author Topic: American Indian bow designs  (Read 3030 times)

Offline ccase39

• Loving to learn
American Indian bow designs
« on: March 10, 2019, 01:26:31 am »
What design was most widely used by the Native Americans. What are some of the different designs different tribes used?
Reading
The Traditional Boyers Bible Vol 1
The Bent Stick

Working on bow #7

Offline PatM

Re: American Indian bow designs
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2019, 06:36:41 am »
Tough one to answer.  Likely a toss-up between the simpler D bow and the short double curved gull wing style

Offline ccase39

• Loving to learn
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2019, 07:47:21 am »
Tough one to answer.  Likely a toss-up between the simpler D bow and the short double curved gull wing style
Do you know what tribes used what designs? I’m assuming the Lakota style bow was what the Lakota used. Is that correct?
Reading
The Bent Stick

Working on bow #7

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2019, 07:55:16 am »
Jim Hamm and Steve Allely's books about Native American bows, arrows and quivers has pencil drawings with dimensions of Native American bows from each region.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PatM

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2019, 09:16:47 am »
Do you know what tribes used what designs? I’m assuming the Lakota style bow was what the Lakota used. Is that correct?

Broadly speaking, D bows to the East and double curved through the Mid-West   Many Western tribes also started off in the Woodlands closer to the East  and changed things up as they migrated West.

One could probably assume Lakota used  what is thought of as typical Lakota design.  ;)  As did every other tribe in the same area.

Offline Oglala Bowyer

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2019, 09:24:25 am »
It really depends on whether or not the bow was backed or not. Having said that, our bows ranged from either D or Gull wing. It is largely dependent on the maker. Although many northern tribes have very similar styles and dimensions.

Offline ccase39

• Loving to learn
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2019, 11:57:15 am »
It really depends on whether or not the bow was backed or not. Having said that, our bows ranged from either D or Gull wing. It is largely dependent on the maker. Although many northern tribes have very similar styles and dimensions.
A Native American buddy of mine said they would bury the wood and spread coals over it to heat treat. Have you ever tried this?
Reading
The Bent Stick

Working on bow #7

Offline Oglala Bowyer

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2019, 01:26:26 pm »
No, I haven’t tried this method. However, I have shaped bows green and let them season a little before either sinewing or finishing as a self bow. Seems like a viable option though

Offline PatM

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2019, 08:46:29 pm »
A Native American buddy of mine said they would bury the wood and spread coals over it to heat treat. Have you ever tried this?

Frequent mention is made of that method to steam a whole bow but I've never heard of it as an authentic reference to heat treating.

The bow would be buried and have wet earth placed over it before the fire was built. Then  the bow could be unearthed and easily shaped.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2019, 10:44:16 am »
there are so many variations, its fascinating,the horn bows are cool too,,I like to make the bows that are Ishi inspired,,I think they are relatively easy to make,, and are effecient,, and can be sinew backed too,,