Author Topic: Sinew questions  (Read 1844 times)

Offline Mafort

Sinew questions
« on: February 04, 2019, 10:27:55 am »
I managed to find a stave of hickory about 50” long and a stave of Osage about 40”-45” long. I’ve read in some places that following the growth ring is a thing I don’t need to worry about when sinew backing a bow.. is this a true statement? Sinew for me where I’m at is extremely plentiful due to a friend who works in a butcher shop near the house. I’m planning on using the hickory first and doing about 3 course thick. Is this too much? I’ve only done this once or twice before and those were just limb patches. Help a newbie out please.

Offline PatM

Re: Sinew questions
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2019, 10:51:41 am »
It's a bit more complicated than just saying it doesn't matter.   Lots of other factors involved. 

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2019, 11:10:54 am »
following the growth rings closely, will increase your odds of success,,,the more rings that are violated will decrease your odds of success

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2019, 11:24:49 am »
I always clean the back up to one ring. Sinew alone cant hold a poor back together. It can still collapse on you.  Try to start with the best as to end up with the best. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

gutpile

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2019, 11:35:39 am »
hickory isnt a wood to chase a ring..just remove bark and there is your back..chasing a hickory ring is waaay too much, if not highly unlikely you will do it unviolated... ...also hickory and sinew arent the best combo...depending on your geographical location..if in south east forget it..waste of time.....out west in drier climate maybe... hcikory is very hydroscpotic meaning it soaks up moisture and hickory needs to be 8 to 12 % no less no more...gut

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2019, 11:38:29 am »
Jay Massey preferred it,,
I certainly would not discourage some one from making one in the southeast,,
that being said, it might be more of a fair weather bow,, and not good for shooting in bad weather,,
but if kept inside and shot for fun,, would defiinitely make a nice bow,, that you could hunt with in nice weather,,
kind of reminds of the old days, when Jim Hamm and Tim Baker and Dean Torges were debating if white wood would make a good bow,, there were many fun discussions on the subject back in the day,, of course, the Native Americans were using it in what ever conditions mother nature would give,, Im sure some soggy hickory bows were warmed by a fire at night to keep them servicable, I can only Imagine,, then someone warmed it a bit too much and hey,, heat treated belly,, wow,,
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 01:30:44 pm by bradsmith2010 »

Offline JNystrom

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2019, 11:48:49 am »
Horn composites don't have the wood core ring chased and look at the bend and poundage on those. :)
The more u put sinew, the less there is flexing happening on the wood.

Offline PatM

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2019, 12:12:58 pm »
Yes, but they are still made with  the same principle as good board bow  or backing strip selection.  Preserving the longitudinal fibers as much as possible.

Not the same thing as knocking the tops off the hills in a stave to be sinewed or just  doing a bad job of ring chasing.

Offline simk

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2019, 12:35:56 pm »
I'm very interested. Are you just (partly) discussing my actual project? I still hope pearly is wrong or yew is just exceptional wood - even planed down. Maybe boo had been the safer choice, as del said. I do have zero experience with this, it's my first sinewing job, just a try ;D

I'll find it out in 2 weeks

Horn composites don't have the wood core ring chased and look at the bend and poundage on those. :)
The more u put sinew, the less there is flexing happening on the wood.

Yes, but isn't there the wood core just in the neutral zone, more or less?

Edit: My actual beginners question is: How to finalize these edges? Can I shape these edges with scraper and if yes how? Slight trapping? Or better just leave and dont touch that sinew layer? I have no plan yet.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 01:17:36 pm by simk »
--- the queen rules ----