Author Topic: First selfbow.  (Read 3648 times)

donrhudy

First selfbow.
« on: March 16, 2008, 05:08:17 pm »
I want to build my first selfbow for a ten year old grandaughter.  If I was home in my native Texas I'd use osage orange, but I'm an expatriot stuck in Indiana, a good-enough state but not Texas.  I have a 150 acres of woods from which to choose wood.  I've been thinking of elm, but how would birch do?  Birch grows very straight in these woods.  I also could choose hickory or walnut.  For my own hunting I now use a Jerry Hill bow, and for my second bow I believe I will use it for a model.

What advice do you have for me. 

Offline DanaM

Re: First selfbow.
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 05:14:39 pm »
For a 10 year old I think any hardwood will work just fine, hickory is tough but so is elm. I would
find something with very straight grain and knot free. But anything you cut is gonna have to dry so why not go to lumberyard and
but a red oak board, back it with linen or silk and start makin a bow and workiing on your tillering skills.

Check out Jawges site for lots of good info.

http://mysite.verizon.net/georgeandjoni/archer.html
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 06:06:03 pm »
Move back to TX and use osage ;D. Naw, that's some good sound advice Dana gave you. A couple of boards would be a lot cheaper in time and effort if first tiller doesn't work out :)..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

donrhudy

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2008, 01:24:44 am »
Gracias, guys.  Gonna do it.

donrhudy

Offline lowell

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2008, 01:35:49 am »
I think elm would be a good choice but would also think there would be osage on Indiana??
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline DanaM

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2008, 09:44:25 am »
Elm is tough stuff if ya don't want it send it to me ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI