Author Topic: Wood Identification  (Read 3000 times)

Offline IrishJay

Re: Wood Identification
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2019, 10:37:44 am »
All split out. 3 good staves to and the skinny runaway on the far right.

"The best camouflage pattern is called, 'Sit down and be quiet!' Your grandpa hunted deer in a red plaid coat, think about that for a second." - Fred Bear

Offline DC

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2019, 11:06:39 am »
You got lucky :)

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2019, 11:17:31 am »
Yeah I'm pretty happy with how straight it split, with the exception of the one runaway. And I still might be able to get a light weight shorty out of that.
"The best camouflage pattern is called, 'Sit down and be quiet!' Your grandpa hunted deer in a red plaid coat, think about that for a second." - Fred Bear

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2019, 12:07:50 pm »
Debarked and ends sealed on the first stage, 0 knots or imperfections on the back, 2.25" across the back at the narrowest point. That walnut odor really comes out when debarking.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2019, 02:46:36 pm »
Now you can draw the bow on the back, leaving the tips and handle area wide and cut it out. Bind it to a form and let it dry. If you can, bring it in the house and in a month or so you could start working it down.
 The odor is a very good way to ID black locust. It's very distinctive.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2019, 04:03:50 pm »
That's the plan. Once I get'em all debarked I'm going to rough them out to about 2.25" wide, and take some of the excess off the bellies to speed up the seasoning process. I have my eye on a nice white ash, and a decent piece of silver maple that will hopefully joining these stages soon. Trying to get a good collection of staves drying so that down the road I'll have a good stock to work from.

Offline bassman

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2019, 07:02:05 pm »
That is Black walnut.I have made a lot of bows with black Walnut saplings. It has a thick outer growth ring that is very  strong .I debark them green ,and ax,and rasp to 80 percent so I can get it shaped on a form with 4 inch back set. Take the twists out of it, and line the tips up with the riser heating ,and clamping.Let it dry in my basement. Give it a good belly heat treat before you take it off the form.Then tiller ,and heat treat one or two more times. It can take a lot of set ,so heat treating is important.Makes a light smooth drawing bow. Make it wide pyramid style. Will make a good self bow. Over looked as a good self bow wood, but built right works fine. Wood will ding easy. It is a soft hard wood.I have made them short, but my best bows were 62 inches long, 2 inches wide coming off the fades to 5 eight,s at the tips.Good luck.