Author Topic: Rawhide bowstrings?  (Read 1372 times)

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

Rawhide bowstrings?
« on: November 04, 2018, 07:08:04 am »
I have a couple questions on rawhide bowstrings. I ordered a Tandy leather lace cutter and have been starting to save back squirrel hides, I should have more but my buddies dog ate 3 good ones when I turned by back to wash the meat. But oh well, there’s plenty of squirrels out there. I’m curious to see what to expect for the durability and lifespan of squirrel rawhide strings? And do more thinner strands hold up any better than fewer thicker strands? Once I get it figured out how to use the law cutter I should be able to make uniform and clean edges strips.

Thanks for any input,
Kyle

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: Rawhide bowstrings?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2018, 07:38:27 am »
If you can Kyle try to get a ground hog for rawhide.Easy to say but you will have more rawhide.Squirrels should work too.Got an idea how many?The answer to that I guess is enough to do the job.I've always read rodent rawhide makes the best bow string.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2018, 09:11:28 am »
There are a few youtubes on rawhide bowstrings. I've been tempted to try it but our squirrels are too rare to harvest.

Offline Morgan

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2018, 10:10:01 am »
What cutter did you get? Been thinking about getting the $12 spiral cutter for a while for the same purpose, if that’s what you got let me know how you like it.

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2018, 10:20:01 am »
I still see some groundhogs running around and have heard they work really well. But squirrels are far easier for me to come across. Won’t stop me from using any ghog I can find. I think I’ve heard that 2-4 squirrels depending on the size of them. I think it’s 2 fox or 3-4 greys. I’m excited to try them for a full primitive setup. Then I’ll take it to the local archery shop to shoot their indoor targets and see what they think.

I ordered the adjustable one that you hook on your finger. Once I use it some I’ll let you know how I like it.

Kyle