Author Topic: What to do with some elk hooves?  (Read 5266 times)

Offline Mesophilic

Re: What to do with some elk hooves?
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2018, 10:23:54 am »
Got a brief break in the clouds.  Not sure if there's enough detail here for anyone to see what's going on and I'm sure the salting doesn't help. The red patches are what I think is bruising, no meat there anyway.  The inside of the frame measures approx 3'x5'

Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline Zuma

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2018, 10:55:50 am »
Awesome cheese,Thanks for sharing your knowledge and skill.  )P( )P(
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2018, 03:00:54 pm »
Pretty decent salvaged size piece yet.You are right around 2 quivers and a couple of knife sheaths for sure.That'll be nice.That sized stretching frame will work for your next coyote too if he does'nt weight over 50#'s...Ha Ha.I imagine the part of the elk hide you kept is the main middle section 1.5' either side of the spine?If it was fleshed good there was no need to salt it really if your were going to brain tan it.Just let it dry.Then depending on whether you wanted the hair off or not is your choice.Before braining I would rinse the salt off though.
The thing is about stretching the whole hide is that you can make all sorts of stuff out of rawhide too if you don't want to brain tan those parts.I myself don't throw much away.I can find use for it all somewhere.
Holes are fixed after braining and before roping dry,sewing them up with a fine needle and good tough thread.The holes will conform to be just a fine sew line.Almost invisible.Much better look than a sewed in plug.I show it here http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,56929.0.html on this thread sewing it up on page 4 and reply 53.Finished look of hole on page 5  reply 65 after roping and drying and after smoked on page 5 reply 69.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 03:42:01 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline ohma2

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2018, 09:40:47 am »
It is a great feelinng to use what is harvested in any way possible.makes great memories