Author Topic: First black locust  (Read 1850 times)

Offline Jakesnyder

First black locust
« on: September 15, 2018, 05:07:25 am »
I just picked up a black locust stave from mike yancey and need some help with a few things. I'm an intermediate bowyer I would say. So I chased a ring and am going to start laying out the shape.  I am going to do my favorite design which is about 1 1/8" wide at the handle and about 3/4" at the tips. Bendy handle and going to flip the tips a little. My draw length is 25" would 60" long be plenty? I like somewhere around 50lb draw.
I believe locust is weak in compression is that correct? So heat treat belly should be in order? Would backing it help at all? Maybe snake skin

Online Bob Barnes

Re: First black locust
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2018, 09:28:15 am »
I just finished a 58" sinew backed black locust.  You're correct about compression fractures if you go too narrow and don't watch the tiller closely.  I think it's actually safer unbacked, as far as crysals, if you're talking about a working back like bamboo or sinew.  Snake backing would do nicely though.   Mine is probably 1 3/8" at the fades and thru mid limb before tapering to 3/8" at the nocks.  I did a rigid grip and almost 2" fades...one of my favorite designs.  The reason that my advice doesn't match my bow is due to the fact that I thought I was making an osage bow when I started.  It was an old stave that looked too dark to be BL... your plan should work just fine...
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...

Offline Badger

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2018, 10:13:50 am »
   I don't think it is weak in compression, it just tends to chrysal before it takes set.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2018, 04:43:36 pm »
I cut my bow making teeth on BL. BL shows some regional differences but I can't prove that. I don't think the BL in Northern climates is weak in compression.

I'd go 1.5 in. wide and 62-64" ntn long.

I assume you brought the back to a heartwood ring?

Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Ryan Jacob

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2018, 07:01:23 pm »
Jawge
62-64 inches for a 25 inch draw?

Offline Jakesnyder

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2018, 07:07:17 pm »
Yea it's worked down to a heartwood ring. It's going to be a bendy handle bow. Why does it need to be so long?

Offline M2A

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2018, 07:33:39 pm »
I'd be inclined to keep it 1.5 w like Mr Tsoukalas recommended, to start. Can always tiller from the sides later during tillering if the wood lets you. When I get about 8 inches from desired draw length I use Mr Badger's mass principle to get in the ball park on weight tillering from belly or sides depending on situation.
Snake skin would look sharp on it, don't think anything else is necessary. Just my 2 cents, Mike

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2018, 07:39:18 pm »
Ryan, I have about the same draw and I like my bows that length. Jawge
Set Happens!

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2018, 05:04:27 am »
Maybe a little trapping to relieve some compression

Offline Ryan Jacob

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2018, 05:24:40 am »
Jawge
Even bendy handled  ??? Seems like you could push it to do more work

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2018, 05:27:29 am »
Thanks, Ryan. Jawge
Set Happens!

Offline half eye

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2018, 07:33:04 am »
One of the staves I sent you is black locust. It is the one with a light colored layer of sapwood on a darker heart. You can take the sapwood down to a thin layer (like a yew bow) and make a very nice self bow from it. I have never had any issues with black locust  as far as compression or tension issues. Never had to heat treat or back them.
rich

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2018, 07:57:00 am »
Ryan, I like to make bows of black locust a little longer so they last for reasons stated in this thread. I would go as short as 54" and expect the bow to last years. A lot of people on this site like the stability of longer bows. Like Jawge.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2018, 06:43:11 pm »
The only thing I'll add is that in my experience, a little heat treating goes a long way with BL. It will increase the draw weight significantly.
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb