Author Topic: Bow from scraps (HBI) Pic Added  (Read 7504 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Bow from scraps (HBI) Pic Added
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2018, 10:32:33 am »
Exercise the limbs after each scraping session and get the limbs bending more.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2018, 10:57:00 am »
Like Pat said. Leave the middle alone. That's where all your bend is right now. You should end up with a tappered width and or thickness. The most stress will be in the center. It should be the thickest. From there out the stress will be gradually less therefore your width and or thickness should be also. We must get the entire limb evenly bending so it all shares the stress in the proper amount.
Bjrogg
PS I might be a bit odd, but I actually like to thin the tips first. Leave about four inches a bit stiff. When I get the tips a few inches from the end bending I start working my way towards the center going back over the tips as I go making a gradual bend as I work towards the center. Not sure I explained that but it's how I do it.
PPS I do most of this in the vise before I go to long string.
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline deadsilence

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2018, 07:47:14 pm »
Pat B helped me all weekend with tillering the bow.  Thought I would show everyone our progress.  This is at a 3" brace and 9" of tip travel.  Opinions welcome.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2018, 08:00:57 pm »
That's looking much better
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline deadsilence

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2018, 08:27:43 pm »
As I look at it I believe Pat was right as the outer 1/2’s might still be slightly stiff.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2018, 08:31:19 pm »
Looking better. I'd say go to full brace now. What is the weight you are pulling now?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2018, 03:03:35 pm »
I agree with Pat, get it to brace at look again. Shortening the brace will pull the tips inward. It will look a bit different. And, I think your assessment of the outer half will hold true. You're close.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.