Author Topic: A puzzle  (Read 2742 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
A puzzle
« on: July 25, 2018, 11:20:44 am »
Here's a little puzzle to figure out.How did the nut get on the threaded bolt?The ends are solid with no threads.A local farmer/machinist gave this to me the other day.

BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: A puzzle
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2018, 11:51:41 am »
Unless that nut moves, I'm saying its two studs screwed into one nut.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2018, 11:58:59 am »
Unless that nut moves, I'm saying its two studs screwed into one nut.
That or the nut is a tad oversized, difference between saw and netric. The nut looks a tad crooked
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2018, 12:14:46 pm »
Every nut it just off "flat", the amount is based on the pitch of the thread. Not much, but all are.

Its impossible to make what you see without welding and re-machining threads where the two studs are joined after the nut is threaded on one of them. You can put the material in dry ice and shrink it down .002-.004", but not enough to make it fit over the shank. Even coupled with making the nut red hot I don't believe you can make it move that much. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline sleek

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2018, 01:29:05 pm »
If i were to make that puzzle, id make one stud, threads and all, then screw on the nut. Have a threaded hole on the end, screw in the other half of the stud, and then cut its threads. You have to do it without removing the first half because when cutting threads, once moved, threads never line up.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2018, 02:41:49 pm »
The nut turns from 1 end to the other with ease but not off the ends of course as they are not threaded.
You all are pretty much right.It's 2 studs welded together with the nut on 1 of them.Then machine threaded over the butt joint to match.The nut does have a slight play in it but not too bad.
A local farmer here living in osage country approached me and said he wanted an ELB.He said one of those bows those English shot from on top of those castles....lol.I gave him a 68" one with full cone tapered glued on horn nocks and a leather quiver and 4 bamboo arrows.It was only 60#'s @ 28" though.I informed him too that those bows they used usually pulled well over 100#'s.Should of took pics of the bow too.I wanted to show him what else could be made out of osage besides fence posts.He gave me this puzzler gadget just before I left from delivering him his bow.He's a gun smith himself too and makes parts for guns etc.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2018, 03:05:52 pm »
Was that the bow you had at MoJam?  if it was …..it was a very good looking bow.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2018, 08:07:24 pm »
Cool story about the farmer and the bow you made him Ed. Love that shooting from the tops of the castle bit.
I was guessing same as Pearl. We used to put match stick tops in between two bolts screwed together on one nut. When you threw them and they hit something they would pop like caps. Do they still make cap guns? Haven't seen one in forever.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2018, 01:02:21 am »
Danzn Bar....Yes it was a bow I made 6 or 7 years ago barefoot Tom had on his table next to you guys at Mo Jam.I think there's another on his table yet but with deer antler overlay tips.Both were only a little over inch wide.Just a sliver of osage is all.
BJ.....Don't know if cap guns are around yet.I would suppose so.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 01:29:37 am by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline Chippintuff

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2018, 08:28:53 am »
That bolt puzzle needs to be patented. Does he sell them?

WA

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2018, 06:36:54 pm »
I don't know.I could ask him.He makes em as a prank once in a while....lol.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Chippintuff

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2018, 07:47:12 pm »
What would he charge for making me one of those pranks?

WA

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2018, 08:26:34 pm »
I could send you this one he gave me.Just pay for the shipping is all.I can get another I'm sure.Send me a PM of your address.
BowEd
Ed