Author Topic: tri-lam ELB  (Read 1583 times)

Offline Mafort

tri-lam ELB
« on: July 31, 2018, 05:33:04 pm »
soo i kinda want to experiment and find out some information. i am wanting to do a tri-laminate ELB for myself however i had a few questions pertaining to the glue up. first things first what kind of glue should i be using? is titebond III ok? do i need to switch to an epoxy? how do i keep my glue lines solid/non-existant (i know its there but my last glue up had a solid line of glue.)? i was thinking of some bamboo for the core and backing and hickory for the belly. any better suggestions? theres so many questions i have.

cool_98_555

Re: tri-lam ELB
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2018, 06:24:55 pm »
I've done a lot of tri-lams and quad-lams, and I always prefer titebond 3 over epoxy.  It's just my opinion, but it gives me more time to get the placement right.  As long as your glue surfaces mate together without any gaps BEFORE the glue up, you will be fine.  Also, you always want to do a sizing coat of glue before the main coat.  This results in really, really good glue lines. 

I've also experimented with different woods on the back and belly, and I can tell you that you shouldn't use hickory on the belly.  Hickory is very strong in tension, not compression, so it would thrive if you put it on the back.  Bamboo works great on the back too, so you can use bamboo or hickory on the back, but choose something different for your belly.  You want good compression-strength woods for your belly.  Some I have used are: Ipe, osage, and lemonwood.

Offline Mafort

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2018, 07:03:54 pm »
I've done a lot of tri-lams and quad-lams, and I always prefer titebond 3 over epoxy.  It's just my opinion, but it gives me more time to get the placement right.  As long as your glue surfaces mate together without any gaps BEFORE the glue up, you will be fine.  Also, you always want to do a sizing coat of glue before the main coat.  This results in really, really good glue lines. 

I've also experimented with different woods on the back and belly, and I can tell you that you shouldn't use hickory on the belly.  Hickory is very strong in tension, not compression, so it would thrive if you put it on the back.  Bamboo works great on the back too, so you can use bamboo or hickory on the back, but choose something different for your belly.  You want good compression-strength woods for your belly.  Some I have used are: Ipe, osage, and lemonwood.

where would i find Ipe staves at for the belly wood? what about lemon wood?

cool_98_555

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2018, 07:39:30 pm »
I think you can get ipe from Echo Archery.  Just email him and tell him you're looking for ipe.  I think osage is better than lemonwood, and I get that in board form from Mike at PineHollowLongbows

Offline johnminnitt

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2018, 02:34:55 am »
I would echo the advice not to use hickory for the belly.
When I was making such bows I bought ipe planks for garden decking, cut up with a bandsaw. That was in France, I don't know if they have ipe like that where you are.
As for glue for most of the laminated bows I've made over many years, with a variety of woods, I've always used good old cascamite, however when I first used ipe some research suggested cascamite might not like so oily a wood so I used Titebond III. Both worked well.
For gluing up - a few clamps and a tight bandage of rubber strip from old inner tubes.
'The crooked stick and the grey goose wing'

cool_98_555

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2018, 10:53:42 am »
If you do choose to use ipe, you have to make sure you de-grease the wood before gluing.  Ipe is very oily and the glue will not grab onto it as well if you don't de-grease it.  I use acetone to de-grease any oily wood I use.

Offline johnminnitt

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2018, 01:59:20 pm »
Oh yes, I forgot to mention that. I used acetone with ipe too - a few applications, there's a lot of oil in there.
'The crooked stick and the grey goose wing'