Author Topic: Leaving a bow strung  (Read 4429 times)

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: Leaving a bow strung
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2018, 01:47:55 pm »
Agreed. Backwards stringing is not good for it. I found that out the hard way with a 30 year old red oak board that I was making a bow from for a young friend. It was a mistake I still remember. Broke the stave/bow and my heart.

I've left a bow strung overnight once or twice by mistake. But it was ok.

I leave a bow string for hours while hunting. But unstring when done.

I don't have the patience to leave a bow strung for hours while finish tillering. I don't see the point anyway. I've pulled a stave so much on the rope and pulley. To each his own.

Jawge
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 02:06:45 pm by George Tsoukalas »
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Badger

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2018, 02:20:31 pm »
  Jawge, why would you unbrace one when finish tillering except to do the area near the tips? I would be bracing and unbracing about every 3 minutes

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2018, 03:08:27 pm »
Badger,
I don't usually unbrace except to work the tips or unless the stave is not braced high enough yet.
But when done working on an unfinished bow I unbrace. I don't leave it strung thinking it will be easier to hit full draw.
When done shooting, I unbrace.
Jawge
Set Happens!

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2018, 08:14:43 pm »
I don't leave them strung unless hunting or tournament shooting, roving, etc. it gives mine more set! But that's me. Pretty much a snap shooter also. I just don't see the need and think it's not good for the bow. Max three hrs and let them rest is my rule. Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2018, 07:08:12 am »

I brace mine hunting sometimes for two periods per day at 6hrs at a time...Usually comes back over night...If not, well that's the life of a bow...String follow happens and I have learned to accept it...
                                                                                                              Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2018, 07:12:22 am »
I agree, Don. If they take set because you left them braced for 4-5 hours, then I think that answer is clear also.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2018, 12:45:32 pm »
My hunting bow that I took to Africa did take some set . I did not throw it away though. It's still my hunting bow. Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2018, 02:32:05 pm »
Arvy, in my opinion this kind of "quick" set is really nothing more than what the bow would have taken a few thousand shot later. A guy just speeds up the inevitable. If a bow took on a bit of set because it was braced over night and was treated normally after that, I dont believe it would take on anymore set as it ages.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2018, 02:55:27 pm »
Arvin, the humidity is pretty high in Africa. That may have contributed to set. Jawge
Set Happens!

Offline DC

« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2018, 03:14:29 pm »
Kinda depends where you are in Africa. I'll bet the Kalahari Desert is pretty dry.

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2018, 05:28:32 pm »
True. Jawge
Set Happens!

Offline DC

« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2018, 06:55:48 pm »
Bet you were thinkin' Johnny Weissmuller's Africa ;D ;D