Author Topic: Cloth Backed Paddle Bow  (Read 1888 times)

Offline RatherBinTheWoods

Cloth Backed Paddle Bow
« on: April 19, 2018, 03:40:42 am »
This is my first paddle design bow. It's made of ash and 58" ntn. 44# @ 26". Heat tempered the belly. I was going to paint it originally but then found this really nice cotton fabric left over from a quiver project which I decided to use as a backing and decoration in one instead. As I thought sinew over this huge area might be counter productive (if anyone has experience of this I'd be interested to know) I just sinewed the recurves as an experiment and it seemed to work out nicely.

Hemp twine handle, strip of rabbit fur around the tips, 5 coats of danish oil and a final coat of linwax finished it off.

Seems pretty quick and snappy, it's shot in now but hope to take it around the 3D course soon to see how it does in the wild. See what you think.

BTW I'm only ever allowed 4 pics on post but I see some with more can anyone enlighten me as to why that is? I've had some nice close-ups of the tips and handle I wanted to include too :0)

Cheers

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Cloth Backed Paddle Bow
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018, 03:42:29 am »
V Nice  ;D
I like the shooting at the camera shot
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 04:08:11 am »
Very nice!it mean you can only post in sets of 4 per post
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2018, 05:29:19 am »
Well that decorated cotton looks great on there. Almost as good as your bend. Nice job RatherBinTheWoods.
To post more than four pictures hit the reply tab again type in anything and post four more pictures.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2018, 07:19:22 am »
      I noticed and like the way you are tillering from your fulcrum point of your handle on the rounded cradle...Great job and beautiful backing man...Nice...
                                                                            Don

« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 03:01:16 pm by burchett.donald »
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2018, 08:17:54 am »
Excellent. Those limbs certainly appear to be THIN.
Congrats!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2018, 08:47:31 am »
Really like the art work and bend on your bow.Nice work.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline CallanJ

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2018, 12:05:32 pm »
Very nice bow.  That upper limb looks like it has some propeller twist to it.  Did you make any attempts to straighten it or is that just an optical illusion?

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2018, 02:39:57 pm »
Dayam!  Looks like a great shooter and I actually wish I had some of that cloth.  Great looking pattern!  Very handsome.

Did you apply the cotton pre- stretched?

Offline RatherBinTheWoods

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2018, 04:33:54 pm »
Thanks for your comments everyone 

Bjrogg - thanks for the tip ;0)

Callanj - it has but I generally leave it unless it’s very severe or affects alignment of the tips.

Springbuck - yes I dampened it and stretched it as I was applying. I keep smoothing it out until the glue is semi dry and air bubbles are gone then wrap with cohesive bandages over night. I then put a layer of waterproof glue on the outside too.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2018, 08:18:23 pm »
Wow man, that's a sweet one, and not something you see everyday. Props my friend, props! (-S
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline ntvbowyer1969

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2018, 11:27:17 pm »
Very nice bow. Love the art work and awesome bend on her.

Offline DC

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2018, 09:54:26 am »
Very nice. I have always envied artistic people. Whenever I try something like that it looks like you left the bow in a chicken coop.  Great job.

Offline M2A

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2018, 10:28:28 pm »
Great looking bow! Very nice tiller and that paint job is beautiful.