Author Topic: Tiller getting close?  (Read 1878 times)

Offline Hawkdancer

Re: Tiller getting close?
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2018, 11:01:52 pm »
Yellar,   Me too! :BB
The right limb seems to be ok, getting the left limb to match is a challenge.  The gizmo says the second quarter from the left tip is still stiff, I.e. Taking pencil marks, did a bit of scraping and weight went up to near 45#, even after flexing.  Had a bit of wind (45-50 mph+) blow down my fence and had to divert my energy today.  I think I can get it to tiller clean tomorrow and get another notch on the tree and keep 45#.  It is still stiff on the floor tiller, as well.  Still have to do some work on the handle, but got the fades looking a bit more like fades than lumps.  Lol!  Still have to rebuild the darn fence, too!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2018, 11:46:17 pm »
Still, establish your fade transition shape before you start bending.  Not the width but the scooped slope.

+1  Totally agree.  Fades are important no matter how much, or where, the limb is bending. 

Hawkdancer, you can see that your RT limb is bending more than the left, can't you?

Also, your pictures are at an angle to the tree.  The right limb tip is farther away than the left limb tip.  It's pretty hard to see that way.

I disagree on the other point.  We just had a long thread about it.  I LOVE making fades bend first.  It adds predictability, it's easier for me to see, and has increased my success on finishing bows how I want them, a TON.  Specifically, it helps by NOT letting me hinge my bows at the fades.

The trick is this.  Simply do NOT pull past draw weight.  Work the whole limb evenly LOOKING for that first slight bend (maybe 2" of tip travel).  Catch one up to the other as soon as you see it, and then STAY OUT OF THAT AREA until the rest of the limb is taking shape. 

Yellarwoodfellar

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2018, 04:48:47 am »
I agree totally springbuck. I like to make my fades just start to flex just so you can see a gap between the bow back and a flat 2x4. Then catch every thing up to there. If limb width is proportional then same thickness from the fade to tip should bring a full to compass bend almost effortlessly. Leaving an extra ring on the outer limb and tada!! You have a stiff tip. It's just easier for my head