Author Topic: Chasing ring on european ash?  (Read 892 times)

Offline Bootthrower

Chasing ring on european ash?
« on: April 07, 2018, 05:35:23 pm »
Hello!
I'm just about to rough some ash staves into a more bow-like state so they dry a bit quicker! but I was wondering wether to chase a ring or just remove the bark and use the first layer as a back?
From what I've read you only need to peel of the bark for ash and you'll have a backing, but I cut my tree in the winter, so the bark doesn't peel. Should I still just scrape down the bark until the outer layer of wood, or should I skip a few layers and chase?

I've never made a bow before, especially not an ELB. I'm a total rookie, so feel free to treat me as such! Any and all information is welcome!

Offline Aksel

Re: Chasing ring on european ash?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2018, 05:49:14 pm »
Hi, i cut my wood sometimes in winter (elm) and I use a knife to peel the bark off. no need to chase any rings. If the knife is not crazy sharp usually helps so it can slide between the bark and the wood and not accidently dig into the wood. Bits of innerbark usually stick to the wood and can be sanded of or scraped off with the knife or a scraper.  take it slow

also watch out so the bow stave dont warp when you are speed drying it. can help to clamp it down..
Stoneagebows

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2018, 06:02:05 pm »
  Exactly!  Like Aksel said should work.  You could, also just remove the bark carefully, in stages.  I take all the corky stuff off with a drawknife or whatever, down to the inner bark.  Then I scrape and peel away what I can easily remove.  Then, I put the stave in a hot shower for about 2 minutes, let it sit a few minutes, then scrape and peel up the bark.  Sometime I have to do the hot water bath 2-3 times.  Using a dull tool to get off the inner bark helps keep the stave nice.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2018, 06:27:25 pm »
Don't forget the power wash method.....lol.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Bootthrower

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2018, 07:38:15 am »
Thanks for the help! but what's the "power wash method"?

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2018, 07:43:49 am »
A member BJ has used that method with good success on HHB many times.Maybe he can comment.A power washer is used.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Bootthrower

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2018, 11:13:13 am »
Thanks!