Author Topic: staying with the grain or not  (Read 878 times)

Offline GaryR

staying with the grain or not
« on: April 08, 2018, 07:58:45 am »
Gentlemen and women, it has been a few years since I have been active here and first wanted to say hello.
I have finally got a little time back in my life and found myself in the garage handling a piece of hickory I've had for years. The bark has been removed and being hickory, the outer ring is good to go. It's been so long, and I never was an expert to begin with, I can't remember if I can shape the back as I please, or if I need to follow the grain with all its curves all the way down. Please advise, obviously I'm rusty.
Thanks,
Gary

Offline PatM

Re: staying with the grain or not
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2018, 08:02:44 am »
Don't touch it.

Offline S.C. hunter

• does a possum have enough brains to tan his hide ?
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2018, 08:15:07 am »
Gary,
  I think that's rule #1,  Never violate the grain on the back!
  Steve

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2018, 08:24:13 am »
Do you mean for the layout profile? I always try to follow the snake but I’ve never used hickory.

Oh! And welcome back!
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2018, 09:06:21 am »
 Welcome Gary yes it's best to layout the front profile following the  grain , hickory is a very tuff bow wood  and have made bows with it with less then perfect grain never had one out right break but had them pop splinters on the back !
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline GaryR

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2018, 01:08:06 pm »
Yes, I meant the profile, not the actual back itself but the sides. I know not to manipulate the back.
I may have to get under the first ring, I have found some spots I'm not too sure about. 

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2018, 03:40:27 pm »
One small diameter, really crowned staves where I know the grain is essentially good, I tend to mark out and follow the crown itself .  Less crowned, split staves, mark your centerline, according to the splits on the sides, or follow the grain if you can see it. 

With hickory, it'll only matter if the grain is pretty wild.