Author Topic: Deflex splices  (Read 4620 times)

Offline Soggydog

Re: Deflex splices
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2018, 05:29:46 pm »
Out of curiosity, what makes splicing favorable to steam bending?

Offline sleek

« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2018, 05:48:45 pm »
Steam bending a piece that thick and wide at that sharp an angle requures emense amount of work and luck.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline PatM

« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2018, 06:02:31 pm »
There's no reason to leave it thick.  You add a build up to a splice so you can just do the same with a thinned handle.   If you narrow and flatten the midsection of a stave before you do anything else you can create far more leverage to bend the middle.

I think a lot of people practically floor tiller a stave and then try to bend the handle into reflex or deflex.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2018, 04:10:38 am »
If you were steaming the bend, could you thin the stave at the place you were bending and that way you would not damage the back of the bow?

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2018, 06:08:14 am »
The one problem with steam bending handle deflex is the potential for introducing twist, just a little bit of twist at the handle can give you some real headaches.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline PatM

« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2018, 06:54:31 am »
If you were steaming the bend, could you thin the stave at the place you were bending and that way you would not damage the back of the bow?

That's what I said above. ;)

Twist can be an issue but it's easy enough to tweak things with dry heat after the initial bend is made.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2018, 04:20:01 pm »

Oh bother, turns out my flash of inspiration was the last post I'd read. Sorry Pat I should read more slowly

In the same vein, would saw-kerfing work?

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2018, 07:18:58 pm »

Twist can be an issue but it's easy enough to tweak things with dry heat after the initial bend is made.

I agree to a point, but there are some staves that even if straightened, will slowly over days begin their twist again. That is very frustrating.
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.