Author Topic: How manny pounds can hickory handle.  (Read 1385 times)

Offline JWMALONE

How manny pounds can hickory handle.
« on: January 21, 2018, 06:07:01 pm »
Hello guys. Still working on a hickory bow. Decided to chop it down to 67 inches. Longer bows are easier to tiller but gotta learn some time. So my question is would #55-#60 be in the safe zone for a hickory flat bow 67 inches t2t @28 provided the tiller is good?
Red Oak its the gateway wood!

Offline Badger

Re: How manny pounds can hickory handle.
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 06:14:58 pm »
  Easily, just make it about 1 3/4 wide and you should be fine. Make sure the wood is dry enough.

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2018, 06:19:07 pm »
Easily. I’d probably use 1 3/4 - 1 7/8” wide limbs for the 60# draw. The wider, for the same length, you go the higher te draw weight you can go. If you go 3” wide you could probably go 80-90# if you wanted. Just make sure the wood is good and dry.

Kyle

Offline Greenriverwoodcraft

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2018, 06:28:50 pm »
That's a perfect length for that draw weight but I would do 1 3/4"-2" wide just for safety but I have made lots of bows in that weight range from hickory over the years and most were between 66"-69", but for a 27 inch draw 67" is more than long enough.  Like they said  make sure its dry or it will take set really bad, and also heat tempering the belly goes a long way on hickory and I have added a full 7 pounds to a bow just by heat treating the belly, 10+ if I force it into a reflex at the same time I heat treat. 

Offline JWMALONE

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2018, 07:05:54 pm »
Thanks guys, forgot to mention this bow is 1.5 wide might better stick with #50-#55 I don't know. The last bow (red oak) exploded so I decided to go longer and lighter this time. Then decided I will never learn to swim if I don't jump on in there.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2018, 07:27:38 pm »
No problems with what you have.  It would be nicer if it was a bit wider but 1.5" should work.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline JWMALONE

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2018, 08:20:37 pm »
Thanks Mark. Plan on heat treating been reading your post and the tbb.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2018, 09:38:45 pm »
  JW,
             Hickory is about bullet proof, it and White Oak...Don't think it will explode on you either...Maybe take some set...Like Greenriver already said, do a good heat temper on the belly...Your tiller on your last bow tells me you will have no problems...
                                                              Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2018, 10:28:17 pm »
If a hickory bow blows up it was rotten wood. Hickory will probably bend in half and splinter but sound hickory is too tough to blow up.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC