Author Topic: limb stave question  (Read 2755 times)

Offline Bo

limb stave question
« on: March 23, 2008, 12:39:53 am »
I've had my eye on a limb in a relatives yard.  It is winged elm that would have some natural reflex.  The end of the limb broke a year or more ago losing all of the green(no leaves).  I thought that I probably should have cut it then but life is busy.  The limb (probably 6-8in in dia.) didn't die and started some new growth where the break was.  Is there any concern with this limb having very thin ring(s) and or any rot?  I know the short answer is cut it and try and see.  I know this board represents a huge amount of experience and knowledge and just wanted to hear what you have to say.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: limb stave question
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 01:16:19 am »
I'd say go for it....I like making Bows from Limbs and Saplings....lots don't but I have had good luck with them....Just cut it ....split it....and deal with it as it dries.....you will see how much twist and reflex you end up with...and How much Straightening you will have to look forward to...or you can split it and tie it down to a 2X4 to keep the twist and Reflex from getting out of control...if you have room to do this....thats what I would do
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 01:54:11 am »
There is a chance that fungi got into the wood after the damage. If you see any discoloration in the wood, it might not be worth messing with. White woods deteriorate pretty quickly if a fungi invades it. Also remember that the tension side or the branch is the up side. When you split the limb separate the top of the limb from the bottom of the limb. The top should draw into a little reflex as it dries.      Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2008, 01:58:01 am »
Yeah...I can tell you from experience...Spalted Wood looks Nice...but Boy it aint worth Crap for a Bow!!!!!!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2008, 10:59:57 am »
If the limb is still alive and sprouting around the break, it's probably fine. Winged elm is great bow wood, I'd go for it.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Bo

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2008, 09:55:08 pm »
Thanks and Happy Easter!