Author Topic: Osage color  (Read 2363 times)

Offline jeffp51

Osage color
« on: February 05, 2018, 11:44:59 pm »
Has anyone noticed a correlation between color and quality in Osage, or is color just an indication of age?  I am working a stave right now that is a rich, rich golden color, and it feels very strong. Other staves have been almost florescent yellow, but not that good-weaker one was more an orange color. Can the color tell us anything?

Offline chamookman

Re: Osage color
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 02:16:35 am »
I've always thought that the Color of Osage is affected by the minerals in the surrounding soil. My .02 - Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 06:22:26 am »
I've noticed the darker red color osage seems to be great bow wood.  It can be stubborn to heat bend but it holds its reflex great and has good cast.  As far as what causes it, I have no idea.  I've cut dark red osage growing right next to light yellow osage. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline PatM

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2018, 06:35:07 am »
Likely the phenol content.  They are reactive compounds.  The tendency for Osage to get stronger with time seems likely due to these compounds polymerizing over times and essentially acting like a natural epoxy which shores up the cell walls.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2018, 08:46:19 am »
I have cut osage that was dark through and through right off the stump, it was very resinous, oily stuff and heavy. It made good bows but not as good as the mid color buttery osage I have used. I have cut osage that was almost as light colored as the sapwood, it was very light in mass weight and always made poor performing bows unless backed with bamboo at which point it shines because it is so light.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2018, 09:01:37 am »
Seems the usual theme resides here too.Around here we call the darker colored osage red hedge compared to the regular yellow colored osage.Very pretty stuff.With those colors the usual and all great bow wood.Like Eric said too though most of the occasional lighter colored osage is lighter in mass weight.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2018, 11:55:10 am »
I like darker or more red osage. Pale yellow osage is still good wood, but I have found it slightly inferior to the colorful stuff.  In the end? Ill use any osage. But like food, I have a few preferences.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline rkeltner

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2018, 01:34:40 am »
i don't know if this is the norm, but i got some dark red osage some time back that had an insane ring count, 20 or more rings per inch...it was a nightmare chasing a ring because just a nick would take it into the next ring. i ended up chasing that one with nothing but a scraper!

Offline bowster

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2018, 02:09:53 am »
I´ve just finished a spliced osage bow(57@28) with a ring count of more than 25, it is pretty dark, very heavy, consists mainly of late wood, and shoots arrows with 10,5gpp for 198m. But I like chasing rings in osage, it is like meditation for me.

Offline ohma2

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2018, 09:39:18 am »
Ive noticed a definite difference in color and wieght of osage with the darker or brighter color having more weight.