Author Topic: question about reflexing tips  (Read 4861 times)

Offline Titan_Bow

question about reflexing tips
« on: March 24, 2008, 06:02:31 pm »
 I am working on a mulberry stave,  and it looks like I am going to be at 64".I'm shooting for about 55lbs at 28", and wanted to reflex the tips a bit, but havent done that before.  At what point should I do this? (ie. at floor tiller, towards final tiller, etc.)  Also,  is there a preferred method with mulberry to bend it? ( dry heat versus steam)

Thanks,
Titan_Bow
"Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
Re: question about reflexing tips
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 10:02:40 pm »
I recurved the tips on an osage recently.  I did it when it was about 5# over the desired draw weight,  when the tiller was looking good.  I used a heat gun with some crisco on the limb and a form.  Just heated it up and it got like butter.  Then bent it and clamped it.  I left it in the form for about 24 hrs.
Traverse City, MI

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 02:25:42 am »
You can do it whenever you want. I have done it after tiller to gain weight and before floor tiller.  Mulberry bends real easy like Osage and steam or dry heat will work well. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 03:44:14 am »
I normally always do mine when the Bow is about totally Tillered....and just kick them up about 2 inches
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 07:37:57 am »
Like all the above,I do it when I am close to draw length,It make it much easier to get to brace
and will add a few pounds to give you room to tweak the tiller as you finish it to full draw. :)
    Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Titan_Bow

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 12:58:22 pm »
Great, thanks for all the helpful replies!  I have a ways to go yet on this one, but this is going to be my hunting bow this year for elk, sheep, and deer.  I'll post pics when she's done  ;)
"Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008, 02:04:12 pm »
I usually do it after floor and long string tillering. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline backgardenbowyer

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2008, 04:10:10 pm »
Here's another question about reflexing tips for all you experts!  If you flip the tips a few inches with heat treatment but don't back the bow in any way will the reflex stay in there or does it just pull out after you have shot the bow a while?

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2008, 07:12:36 pm »
Do you want to wait for the experts like you asked or can I answear.  ;D The tips will stay up forever.  The reflex is like all induced reflex no matter if it is glued, steamed or added with dry heat. You will probably loose about 1/2 of it. Sometimes you may loose more sometimes less, but don't bet your lunch money on it.  ;) Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2008, 10:13:36 pm »
I give mine about 3 inches....and depending on the Wood...I normally end up with 1 1/2" to 2" of Reflex that stays for good
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2008, 02:30:05 am »
If you leave your limb tips a bit thick then narrow them later you will have light weight but strong bends and most of what you put in will stay.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2008, 07:54:19 am »
What Pat said. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline backgardenbowyer

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2008, 09:02:02 pm »
thanks Pappy helpful advice

330bull

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2008, 02:49:59 am »
Guys I ALSO appreciate the advice too!  I'm currently bending the tips on a vine maple bow and I hope it's stout enough to take caribou hunting this year.  I'll be posting pics in about a month when I complete finishing it.  Joe