Author Topic: Question on push knives  (Read 2096 times)

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

Question on push knives
« on: October 17, 2017, 09:43:55 am »
I have a blank of 1075 steel that is 2" wide 18" long and 1/4" thick I was gifted by a friend. Originally the plan was to make a draw knife. I'm now thinking about making it into a push knife. Neither would be hard to make but the push would definitely be easier. But I always find myself in situations where I'm sitting on the stave and it's difficult to use a draw knife. So I'm thinking a push knife would be more useful. Since I'm going to make it, and can make it exactly how I want. For those that use or have used push knifes as opposed to draw knives. What are characteristics that you like, don't like, and would like to be different compared to what your currently using?

Thanks,
Kyle

Offline Stick Bender

Re: Question on push knives
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 12:19:15 pm »
I love the swedish push knife for stripping off bark & sap wood & back peeling rings I only use it to the ring above the one I want it doesent have the control of a regular draw knife but is a big time saver , chased a ring that was 6 down took off 5 with the push knife & used the draw knief & scraper on the last one only took about 6 hours the push knife is a big time saver once you get the hang of it !  Its a great tool !
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 01:04:06 pm »
I use more for removing bark and sapwood, too, and ring chasing along with shave hooks.  I also use it as a scraper.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 04:49:40 pm »
so, I'm guessing a push knife is not the same as a push dagger?

Offline Hamish

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 06:22:12 pm »
Push knives. From all I can tell they are just smaller detail drawknives, not really designed for putting all your bodyweight on and hogging off lots of wood. Usually with  neutral, in line handles, rather than swept back or off set to the blade. It or any drawknife can be used to push or pull cut. I do this often, when necessary with a full sized drawknife, though a dedicated smaller knife is more manauverable for push cuts. Is this what you are refering to?

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2017, 08:59:11 pm »
Here is a photo of mine.
http://traditionalarchery101.com/osage.html
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2017, 02:19:14 am »
A push knife has a double bevel as opposed to a single on a draw knife there a bit harder to control !
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2017, 08:38:54 am »
Thanks for the input guys. I'm still debating if the push knife would fit what I'm wanting. I was thinking it would be a bit closer to them performance if draw knife for removing wood. It sounds like it'll be good for clean up after the stave has had the heavy wood removal done. I use my drawknif backwards all the time, I was hoping the push knife would equal out out by being a bit slower but easier to control. It might be nice to have one in the tool horde in case it does come in handy.

Kyle