Author Topic: need tips  (Read 2749 times)

Offline recurve shooter

need tips
« on: March 20, 2008, 08:29:16 pm »
i feel kind of stupid asking this, but what would be the proper tecnieque for shooting a longbow? i have a beutiful one, but i shoot it like my recurve and i cant hit anything with it. any help would be greatly apreciated.
lets just shoot it

Offline adb

Re: need tips
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 09:22:50 pm »
Brake your wrist almost 90 degrees, so the heel of your hand lays across the bow's handle. Because of this, you HAVE to wear a bracer!! Unlike a recurve, where you hold the bow's grip in the web of your hand between the first finger and thumb, and keep your wrist straight. This is the reason why your draw length shortens with a longbow. Also, cant the bow quite a bit more. I shoot my recurve almost vertical because it's center shot. I cant my longbow about 30-40 degrees. Also, don't hold at full draw. As soon as you come to anchor, pull through and realease, all in one smooth motion. Most important... look at the target!! Nothing else. Bore a hole into the tiny spot you want to hit, and let loose.

Get some books on shooting like: Byron Ferguson's "Become the Arrow", or Fred Asbell's books on instintive shooting. After that... go roving!!! Shoot some stumps, or whatever else gets in the way!!
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 04:13:06 am by adb3112 »

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 12:16:25 am »
Nothing to it brother, just shoot it ....cant the bow and don't lock your elbow...smoothe release is a must and you might want to check the spine weight of your arrows ..I f they are the arrows you shoot from your recurve.. and the spine is different that may be your problem.. keep tryin and don't feel bad.. i grew up with a long bow in my hand .. one day at a video archery target range a friend let me shoot his training wheels bow and i shot the cieling ... naturally compensated for the distance to the deer on the screen and the arc of the arrow and killed the cieling ...  every bow is a new experience..Hawk a/ho
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 05:18:22 pm »
cool, i did alot of that and i can now hit a milk jug at 20 yards 2 of 3 times. now that i can hit with it i prefer the longbow. only question is what the hell is a bracer? is that the arm guard thing?
lets just shoot it

Offline carpenter374

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 05:37:53 pm »
yes. its an armguard.
"Those who would sacrifice their freedom for safety will find that they will inherit neither." -Ben Franklin     

--Carpenter

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 07:12:52 pm »
yeah, i use one. learned that u need one of them real quick like. ;D
lets just shoot it