Author Topic: Further adventures of modern nomadic living  (Read 2797 times)

Offline sleek

Further adventures of modern nomadic living
« on: July 29, 2017, 02:50:13 pm »
Its a beautiful day here in Huntsville Alabama today. I just microwaved a peppered steak and rice dinner on my tailgate and decided to type up a little bit about this adventure I am on.

I left my last contract june 30th in Kinston NC.  It was a good contract,  but they got a new director who needed to make a name for himself. So to save the company money he got rid of the contractors, being convinced we werent needed.  Such is the contractor life. I found this job in Alabama and started last week. It was a long pressing drive up here, I had been working on the camper I built on the back of my truck to get ready and ran out of time. I had to finish it when I got here. But now it doesnt leak except in the heaviest downpours and it is insulated. My little ac unit will make me cold inside there and honestly,  im quite pleased with that.

When I first started this life style I was using a small 900 watt generator that could barely run the ac. On start up it would trip the breaker often. So I taped the breaker button down with duct tape and that solved that problem. That little generator however ran great and would recommend it to anyone who just needed a little set. It lasted three months running 8 hours a day every day, sometimes longer. Oneday I went to start it and it just wouldnt run anymore. It was still in its warranty period so I replaced it for free. Nice.

I have upgraded from just an air matress under a camper shell and an ac unit. I now can stand up and walk around in my camper, rather than sit up and hit my head. Also I have a microwave and LED rope light that wraps the inside of my camper for lower power draw effecient bright light. I love it. As a result of my need for more power I found a generator on walmarts website for half off. Its a sportsman 2000 and so far, im liking it. 2000 watts surge, 1700 running. Powers my 500 watt ac and 700 watt microwave great while running my lights too. It also hase a 12 volt dc connection with cables included to charge a car battery. So that is a very neat feature. It also has the advantage of being a 4 stroke so none of that smelly exhaust of the old 2 stroke I used to run. It gives me 9 hours runtime with the ac going full tilt, so I dont wake up to put gas in it when it runs out. That is a major plus. Also its no louder than the 18 wheelers I park around. I run it outside from my truck locked and chained to my bumper. Hopefully this one wont walk off.

My new job is pretty bad ass. Im rebuilding and modifying black hawk helicopters. Its a job with a purpose and meaning. Reminds me of being back in the navy and working on military equipment is exciting for me. Its always nice to have a job you connect with. A job you GET to go to rather than HAVE to go to. I just wish my contract company that placed me wasnt so crappy. Found out they are paying me 3 dollars an hour less than other contract companys are paying their employees, I and other employees were misled about a bonus pay that was a substantial amount and part of my reason for taking the job, and I was promised a payday advance to help make ends meet on my third day. That hasnt happened yet either. I had to return a few items I bought just so I can have 30 dollars to get gas in my generator and afford to buy 1 dollar micriwave dinners for food until I get a paycheck. Some companies can really jerk a guy around. First chance I get I am gone, which sucks because the work, my boss, and coworkers are all great. That and most are veterans, go figure, so its real easy to get along and not worry about drama.

The location I am staying is a walmart 7 miles from work. In my travels I have learned that walmarts actually have designated parking spots for overnighters. If the lots have all yellow lines, dont overnight there. If it has white lines, usually in the back out the way from regular parking, you can stay there. Also if the walmart sells guns its typically a safe area, if not, its best to find another area to stay. This walmart I am at does not sell guns, which is weird because the area seems safe. Best I can reckin is its because there is a bar on the other side of if the parking lot. There is a massive amount of tractor trailer traffic in and out staying the night and such so I feel pretty safe. Im also ready to defend myself through several non lethal and lethal means if needed so Im good.

While I am here I plan on modifying my camper some more. Its exterior grade ply, but will still decay over time. My intention is to use some antifreeze, roll it into the wood with a paint roller. Its a perfect wood preservative, kills all living organisms, no rot. Then wrap it in roofing paper, and cover it top and sides with tin roofing to make it completely waterproof. I put a lot of tine effort and money into this, id like to keep it a long time. Also, right now the inside is unfinished, with it being just sheet foam insulation on the inside. I will be lining it with something, carpet, fiberboard, lenolium, wood, fabric, im not certain yet, maybe I will find remnants on sale at lowes of linoleum flooring. Just need something to put on the walls to close in the foam sheet and add asthetics.

Well, thats about all the typing I feel like doing right now, and probably more reading than most prefere, so I will update a little more and things happen.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 03:02:27 pm by sleek »
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline penderbender

• island life...
Re: Further adventures of modern nomadic living
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2017, 10:36:53 pm »
Nice read sleek I enjoy reading about your adventures. Cheers- Brendan

Offline sleek

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2017, 10:58:36 pm »
Glad you like it brendan.

Well looks like I am in luck.the highest low is 71 and lowest is 59 and holding upper 80s all week. Except to cook i won't need to tun my generator.  Thats a big deal for me. It saves gas, money, and means im not worried about exhaust fumes, theft, and drawing attention to myself.

Tonight I cooked up a chicken broccoli alfredo dinner, had a chocolate bar, knapped an arrowhead, took a basin bath ( basically used a cooler as a water catch and used a loofa. Only used one gallon of water. At 88 cents per gallon its cheaper to bathe that way than 12 dollar truck stops or 80 dollar gym memberships ) and now im gonna watch some family guy on my phone and go to sleep while a 64 degree breeze blows through my truck, I GET to go to work tomorrow.  Its a great day to be alive folks.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2017, 02:17:50 am »
Never got To jump out of a Blackhawk, they were just coming into service as I was going out, but they are supposed to be a good bird!  Great to hear the job is " fun", the contractor situation sounds like bleep!  Check around to see who really owns the work contract, you might be able to link up directly with them. Local Veterans Employment Rep may be able to help, if it is a direct federal job, you should get a preference.  Sounds like your civilian work somewhat mimics your military work.  Sounds like your camper is doing great, as well - we just bought a "tin tipi", may need to get a bigger "horse" to pull it.  Lived out of a rucksack enough, passed that sort of fun to the young guys!  Good luck and hope all  your contracts stay fun until you find the one you get to keep!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline sleek

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2017, 02:34:02 pm »
Thanks Hawk. My goal isnt to find one to keep. My goal is to make enough while I can, so that I can work a few months out of the year to keep my bank account up. Thats why I am living so cheap now.

I have rigged up a fan in the camper that runs off a car battery so when its cool enough to not need ac i can just turn on the fan to keep air circulating. Also, it has a double car cigarette lighter splitter to charge my phone and watch movis in the camper without 8A car battery should last me a week of fan usage before it goes dead. The plan is to run a thick set of cables from the alternator to the fan battery, with a selector switch. I can start the truck on either battery, and charge them both while driving. Having a spare battery strong enough to start my truck is a big deal when you live in it.  Also I have solar powered lights in my truck that light it up well enough to read by so if need be, I can go generator free if need be, such as rain, low on gas, it breaks, stolen, or I dont want the noise. Oneday when i figure how to post pics i will.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2017, 02:44:03 pm »
You could mount a solar panel to the roof and charge your second battery that way.  You saw my set up at Marshall.  There isn't much to it.  You could charge several batteries with 1 panel and a charge controller.  With the right battery and invertor set up you might be able to run a small heater in there.  That might come in handy in Canada eh!
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline sleek

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2017, 04:03:18 pm »
That is an idea for certain. I had thought about solar panels on top to power a bank of batteries, but I cant think of what i need other than light and air flow. Maybe a water pump to push water to shower with. Thats an eventual mod also. As for heat, a propane lantern puts put a lot. So does a couple of candels if in a pinch. But my biggest guard against cold is a down comforter and a bison robe. Those things are great.

I won't be drivung sadly,  i will be flying to canada. The company is paying all my travel and living expenses on top of my check. This gig may get me set for a long time.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2017, 11:05:50 pm »
Now, that sounds like a good gig!  Hope it works out well for you.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline sleek

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2017, 07:07:27 pm »
Time will tell Hawk.

So i built my shower and boy am I pleased with it. Through the process I tried to make it of materials that serve more than one purpose. First thing was I needed a tank to hold water. Walmart has blue water jugs that are designed to just hold water and that is all. They have a nice spout on the lid so a guy could lift it up on a surface and let gravity do its job, pouring water through its nozzle on you to soap up, then rinse. As a non powered simple solution it should work well. But thats about all it would be good for and I dont favor single use items, especially for tight quarter living.

The other idea i had was a sprayer jug. The type with a hand pump that pumps air into the jug to pressurize the water. It would make  a good way to rinse, and for water conservation, high pressure low volume is a best case scenario.  It also takes up very little room and doesnt weigh much when full so its portable. The long wand would however make it awkward to use, though modification shouldnt be hard. The problem with it is washing hair wouldnt be easy. A 5 gallon bucket would solve that, and the sprayer would store inside it when not in use. But then, you need to get water every time you shower and water isnt easy to get, even in the city, so when you get it, its best to tank up.

That brought me to what I decided to make. Coleman makes an amazing 50 dollar cooler that holds 70 liters of water, stainless steel hinges with a reinforced lid to act as a seat. Two bonus uses right there, its a cooler and a seat, with a measuring tape molded in and cup holders. Its nice. It also has a drain plug on it, allowing a person to set the cooler on a tailgate and bathe that way if needed, letting gravity do its thing. Of course for parking lot camping i prefere privacy. So I needed water pressure that works on 12 volts. Nothing a boat bilge pump wouldnt handle. I got a smaller one because i dont wanna use too much juice, or water. I bought a 25 foot water hose, cut 15 feet off and with the help of a heat gun, heated the 5/8 water hose cut end up to expand enough to fit the 3/4 outlet on my bilge pump. The other 15 feet, that gets used to tie into a faucet at a gas station by me to fill my cooler no need to take it out the truck. Thats convenient. Also, the pump can be rerouted into a stream to pump water from the stream into the cooler. Put a water filter inline and you have drinkable water.

I found a spray nozzle to use as a shower head. The pump makes enough pressure to use all its settings, but full and shower are the two I use the most. I picked the spray nozzle that had the most and largest opening holes so as not to over work my pump, especially since I am going with more volume and less pressure on this rig. Maybe a stronger bilge pump would do better. It takes a lot of water to get the soap out of my long hair. And of course, a hair cut is not an option. Never know when I may need some cordage and not have any :) A shower uses about 1/3 the volume of the cooler, so one fill up last 3 times. And when done, it all stores inside the cooler out of the way. Not bad. Bath every other day, and use baby wipes for a good wipe down in between and you are good to go for a solid week. If you think baby wipes for a bath sounds gross, you have never tried it. It works great. Just use non scented ones, they dont leave a residue behind. When showering, the water just runs down to the bed of the truck, down the bed linner corrugations, and out under the tailgate. Its just soapy water and harms nothing. Just got to clean the truck bed floor to keep away that locker room smell.

Next issue to resolve is water heat. Cold water will make you reluctant to get all your parts, and make bathing an oxygen reducing endeavor with all that gasping. I believe I will make a solar water heater on the roof of my camper. At 4 foot wide, 12 foot long, i have room. The idea is a slow circulation on a timer. Water sits in tje hose on the roof, get hot, pump kicks on, cycles hot water into the cooler and puts cold water on the roof. It shoukd work great spring through summer. In the winter, sponge baths and gym showers are probably gonna be what happens.

Anyways, didnt mean to write a book on the subject of me bathing, but there ya have it. Im quite pleased so far.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 07:16:12 pm by sleek »

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2017, 07:14:20 pm »
My vote is for a hair cut.  I can wash and dry my hair in about 20 seconds  ;D

Offline sleek

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2017, 07:21:02 pm »
Yeah, its convenient having short hair, but sometimes a man must do what pleases the missus.

Offline sleek

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2017, 08:15:15 pm »
Hey Clint, your solar charger you have, how much was it, and what exactly is it? I drain my battery about .4 volts per day. Can your pannel keep up with that type of drain?

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2017, 08:38:16 pm »
I researched and read reviews for about a week before I bought everything I needed off of ebay.  I found it was cheaper to buy the individual components instead of buying a kit.  The panel is 100w and cost about $100.  The charge controller was $20.  I can't remember exactly.  There are a lot of different brands but they are all about the same.  The inverter was around $30.  It's been a while since I got everything.  I can't remember the exact amounts.  If you are going to be running any electronic devises like a computer or TV you should get a pure sine inverter.  It's supposed to be more level power and easier on whatever you are connecting to it.  I bought a set of 20' extension cables for the panel.  I only use about 3' of them.  Is it a deep cycle?   I think all together I had about $240 invested in my set up and that included the battery and extra cables.  Since you already have the battery you will save some money there. 

I'm sure my set up could handle that load.  I watched a DVD, charged my phone, used the lights, and ran a Cpap machine all the night with mine.  It dropped it about .4 volts.  The next day it was fully charged by lunch time.

Offline sleek

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2017, 08:44:47 pm »
Thanks bud. Its just a 60$ car battery from wally world. I forget what size, i think 600 amps? I will eventually get a deep cycle.  Im just charging a cell, runnjng led ligjts, a fan and my shower pump. I dont think Im gonna add much to that. My cell is good for tv and internet. If im out with no service, chances are, i dont need my phone to intertain me anyway.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2017, 09:10:40 pm »
I got a large deep cycle battery at Wal-Mart.  It was cheaper than I expected.  Around $70 plus a core charge.  I got the battery with the highest amp hour rating.