Author Topic: Graving -- instead of sawing -- a siyah slot  (Read 1744 times)

Offline Tom Dulaney

Graving -- instead of sawing -- a siyah slot
« on: March 13, 2017, 10:06:57 pm »
Greetings. I am deathly terrified of using my dull, low quality, bent handsaw to cut a V-notch for my siyahs to sit in. I was wondering if it would be feasible for me to grave the notch out instead, using a simple box cutter. I would rather cut the notch out scrape by scrape, even if it takes hours, than risk ruining the stave. It's a short, thin stave. But then I also don't want to invest a lot of time doing something that doesn't get talked about hardly at all, so I am asking for your input here before I try it.

Looking forward to your replies.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 10:28:43 pm by Tom Dulaney »

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: Graving -- instead of sawing -- a siyah slot
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 10:10:10 pm »
I used a good hack saw to do mine by hand.Slowly and carefully.Worked good.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 10:11:22 pm »
If i was you i would go buy a Japanese pull saw they can be had for a reasonable price
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline PatM

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 10:12:42 pm »
Yes, it is feasible for you.

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2017, 09:53:27 am »
If the handsaw is an older one with good quality steel. You could always straighten it and re sharpen the teeth. Saw sharpening files are only a couple bucks from a hardware store, and a smooth faced hammer, something smooyh for an anvil, and two straight edge are all you need to get any old saw back in like or better than new condition.
Or a fine tooth pull saw runs about $20 new. I wear out one of those every two years or so. But I get atleast a dozen bows and many other random projects before they do. They cut amazing until a tooth bends, then it's time for a new one since saw blades are made disposable anymore.

Kyle

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 11:25:09 am »
Tom - What did you wind up doing to attach your siyahs?  I'm headed into a similar consternation soon and wondered how you solved the issue.  I've used power tools to do it before, (cheap Harbor Freight scroll saw), and I've had it go well on one and then FLUB out miserably on another.

OneBow

Offline scp

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2017, 08:50:59 pm »
The safest way would be making a jig like the one used for routers. I cheat and simply use the gap filling epoxy that is very thick. If tips are thin, you can also add thin underlays that cover the whole  tips as well as "bone" tip overlays. Just do it with whatever you got; with modern glues, anything can be fixed.