Author Topic: Old Osage  (Read 1755 times)

Offline TacticalFate

Old Osage
« on: July 30, 2017, 07:53:33 pm »
Hey fellow bowyers, it's been a while since I worked on a bow, but was just given this doglegged osage to finish for an older guy who has had it gathering dust for the past 20 years. He says its never had a string on it. It's ~58 Tip to tip with a non working handle and ~1+1/16" at the fades. I was just wondering what kind of drawlength and drawweight I should be aiming for with this bow, difficulty tillering the profile aside. Lighter area on the back is an area I just finished chasing, he missed that spot. I've never worked osage. Some pictures are below. Thanks!

Finally got around to building a tillering tree, this one attaches as an accessory to my shaving horse.

Offline bradsmith2010

Re: Old Osage
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2017, 08:01:00 pm »
45# @ 25   (SH)

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2017, 08:05:20 pm »
Nice whoop tee do's. I think that would give me fits to tiller. It's going to look like it's got two hinges.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2017, 11:12:36 pm »
If nothing else, it's well seasoned >:D :BB!  Sort of looks like a longhorn bull!  Keep showing the tillering progress, should be very interesting.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline TacticalFate

Re: Old Osage- Longhorn (braced)
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2017, 09:17:44 pm »
Man, this bow really makes me cringe looking at the braced profile. Anyway, probably needs some more movement in the outer limbs, regardless of the reflex there I think. I'd like some input anyway, thanks.

Video of drawing to 12", I hope links to Youtube are allowed, let me know if they aren't
https://youtu.be/onuBuUVM2uI
Unbraced

Braced

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2017, 07:02:50 am »
That's looking good to me. Anymore with wonky looking staves like that. I draw the starting profile on a piece of lumber to keep track of where and how much set is developing. Otherwise it can be hard to tell if it's taking any at all untill its too late. But at this point yours is looking good. Just keep working it on back.

Kyle

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2017, 12:13:44 pm »
Leave the mid limb area on both limbs along(at the whop-te-do) and get the outer limbs bending then work the inner limbs back to the fades.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2017, 06:52:46 pm »
Leave the mid limb area on both limbs along(at the whop-te-do) and get the outer limbs bending then work the inner limbs back to the fades.

Exactly what I was going to say. Make sure to do it in the order Pat prescribed and go slow.  :)
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2017, 08:17:02 pm »

Exactly what I was going to say. Make sure to do it in the order Pat prescribed and go slow.  :)

Its looking good to me as well. 
Sound advice give by Pat and upstate. Exactly what I would do.  I love me a wonkey stave! And that one has a nice "cool" factor!

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!