Author Topic: alder?  (Read 1670 times)

Offline trail walker

alder?
« on: July 08, 2017, 11:14:39 pm »
do any of you guys know how alder preforms and a bow wood. any tricks to using it? i have a canyon full of it near my home and want to know if its worth stave hunting. )W(. Also what style of bow might work best with it the best branches i have seen for bow making are 36''-50'' long.
thanks a million.
Trail Walker

Offline willie

Re: alder?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2017, 12:00:43 am »
I have made bows from alder, and like the way it tools and splits. If you are making lower weight bows you can get by with the normal dimensions, for a typical white wood hunting bow, as it is usually a fairly light wood. I have seen quite a variety in density and seen some heavy weight bows made from denser wood found at treeline. A two inch diameter stave will be naturally trapped, and seems to work well.

most will say it is not a bow wood, and advise to look elsewhere, and I can agree if you have a plan for an bow with a lot of features and details, but if you just want to cut some easy to dry and and work staves for for the experience and fun, Its OK for  bendy handle, flatter bellied designs.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 12:03:49 am by willie »

mikekeswick

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2017, 03:33:54 am »
It makes great shields!
I love how it oxidizes when you remove the bark. Keep hold of it in one spot and after a few seconds you will have a perfect hand print where the oxygen hasn't got to it :) shame it only lasts a few minutes...

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2017, 11:55:42 am »
TW and W, do you know what species of Alder you are talking about? We have a ton of Red Alder here and Sitka Alder at higher altitudes. I would be a windfall for me if it was useable but I 've always heard it was brittle.

Offline penderbender

• island life...
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2017, 12:25:26 pm »
I think red alder is pretty brittle Don. Don't know about Sitka. Cheers- Brendan

Offline willie

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2017, 12:30:02 pm »
DC, my alder is Alnus crispa or sinuata,  or a hybrid.
works for a target bow, but there is no way I would bother with it if I had yew nearby

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2017, 01:32:54 pm »
From what I can tell, our alder(tag alder) is not very good for bows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2017, 02:33:55 pm »
Bad for bows decent for arrows....milled.
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline trail walker

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2017, 09:27:51 pm »
it has red bark and is usually pretty crooked. don't know if that helps.thanks guys! i thought i was choke cherry a long while but i got wise, it was alder in disguise (cheesy quote moment ::)) i do have a plains style 46 inch 45lb self bow made from it i thought it was choke cherry. it is definitely no rocket loncher but it gave me some tillering experience. i put of oiling it ad it has started to crack, i was going to sinew back it but from what you guys have said i think i might save the sinew and go find a juniper stave. thoughts?