Author Topic: Compression fractures  (Read 2449 times)

Offline LaBill67

Compression fractures
« on: June 07, 2017, 07:56:03 pm »
I have completed several bows since starting this new endeavor of bow building and many have developed compression fractures. The bows with the compression fractures are: a red oak pyramid bow with a fiberglass cloth backing, a maple, purple heart, white oak belly tri lam, a white oak backed purple heart no backing, a maple backed purple heart with burlap backing over the maple, w ell you get the idea I hope.  In each case the tiller was reasonable and the weight was about 40-45#.  I don't know if it is me or the wood.  I currently am shooting a IPE backed with pecan that is 65 1/2" NTN in a pyramid style that weighs in at 65#.  I am hoping it holds up even though it is  a bit too heavy for me.  If anyone has any thoughts on this subject by all means let me hear from you.  I'm thinking of trying a mid weight, 40-45#, pecan IPE flat bow for my next attempt. Just needed to vent a bit I guess.

Offline PatM

Re: Compression fractures
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2017, 08:41:16 pm »
Your belly wood choices are too fickle when combined with your backing choices.
 Try Maple backed Ipe if you want to  narrow your chrysals down to being only because of poor tiller.

Offline Badger

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2017, 09:28:11 pm »
    Start off with better wood choices. Purple heart is not a true bow wood even though you will find several examples of good shooting purple heart bows. It is prone to chrysaling. Maple is somewhat prone to chysaling and will not usually tolerate tight bending areas. same with red and white oak. Both maple and red oak will make good backings if straight grained.

Offline LaBill67

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2017, 07:37:54 am »
Thanks guys for your insight.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2017, 08:11:33 am »
I agree with Pat and Steve.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2017, 11:09:25 am »
Would be good if we could see some of these bows, we could tell you if your tillering is also a reason

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2017, 11:53:42 am »
agree with above,,
what about making a self bow,, -C-

Offline bushboy

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2017, 05:41:52 pm »
The only thing purple heart has going is the look witch dulls over time!non bow In my opinion!super hard and low compression strenght!red oak is better but not by much.find some hickory,elm,or hophornbeam.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline scp

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2017, 09:40:18 pm »
Wood is stronger in tension than compression. I routinely "trap" the back when the working limbs are not as wide as 1&3/4 or 2 inches but thick enough. Some early experts definitely recommended rectangular cross section, but I'm not sure it still holds universally even for flat self-bows.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2017, 04:29:20 pm »
scp, good point, I am not sure about any rule of thumb that holds universally,,  (AT)

Offline Badger

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2017, 09:32:59 pm »
      I never have got into trapping and wouldn't know how to measure its effectiveness. I would imagine a crowned back is the same as trapping. I have never had a problem using staves with moderate crowns. Possibly wood is better designed to bend with a crowned or trapped back.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2017, 07:22:33 pm »
I guess a start would be to test some trapped back bows for performance,,
to see if there is any difference compared to a regualar bow,,  ??? i dont know, I have never done it either,, but have never had a problem crushing the belly with the woods I use,, mostly osage,, maybe on some woods it is very benificial,, (W

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2017, 08:07:23 pm »
I've found that tension strong wood like Elm perform better when they have a crowned back
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com