Author Topic: Oil, and Other, Finishes  (Read 2825 times)

Offline jaxenro

Oil, and Other, Finishes
« on: June 04, 2017, 04:27:16 pm »
I have been playing with various vintage finishes some are completely new to me some I had used before on muzzle loading rifle and pistol stocks

Red Root Oil: This is actually linseed oil colored by alkanet root and is the traditional finish applied to English Shotguns by Purdey and others and imparts a reddish-purplish-brownish tint to wood especially walnut (but it looks really good on yew I think darkening the heartwood). It is available from multiple suppliers each with different recipes, and probably as many variations as there were gun makers, but I make my own by soaking powdered alkanet root in artists plain linseed oil. Some people use boiled linseed oil (which isn't actually boiled but has metallic driers added) but I think the plain oil penetrates better

Saffron Oil: Again this is actually linseed oil but this time colored by saffron which is a spice and imparts a lovely golden yellow with orange tones. I make my own by soaking saffron threads in artists plain linseed oil

Stand Oil: This is actually polymerized linseed oil, or rather linseed oil that is made by heating linseed oil near 300 °C for a few days in the complete absence of air. It has the consistency of honey and dries a little better than plain linseed oil but not as good as boiled linseed oil. However like the plain oil I think it penetrates better and forms a better finish

Hardener: One of the traditional stock finishing techniques was to apply coats of hardener after the first few coats of red root oil were applied. I make my own hardener by mixing cobalt drier with pure artists turpentine. After allowing the oil finish of choice, usually a coat of red root or saffron oil once a day for three or four days followed by a coat of stand oil, I apply this which essentially converts the oil in the wood to traditional "boiled" linseed oil, drying and hardening it. I then alternate coats of oil and hardener until I have the finish I want.

Damar Varnish: Damar, or dammar, gum when dissolved in turpentine and heated makes a clear varnish that dries hard. Unlike shellac, which dissolves in alcohol both before and after curing, damar varnish, once applied, polymerizes hard and will no longer dissolve in turpentine. It is mainly used in varnishing oil paintings (since the early 1800's) although it is also a component of many violin varnishes. I use the pre-made artists kind and use it as a final finish

Saffron Damar Varnish: Simply regular damar varnish which has had saffron threads soaking in it. It makes a very bright yellowish tinged varnish

Cobalt Drier: I use cobalt drier in my hardener mix but it can be added to any of the above, sparingly, as a drier. A little of this goes a long way I tend to measure it in drops

I also play with the above mixes some for instance soaking the alkanet root in turpentine and then mixing with linseed oil seems to help bring the color out with the final mix being maybe four parts oil to one part turpentine
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 04:49:48 pm by jaxenro »

Offline loon

Re: Oil, and Other, Finishes
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 03:54:14 am »
Those are interesting.
How about tung oil and shellac? French polish?
Could pine resin varnish be redissolved?

Offline jaxenro

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 04:30:52 am »
Pine resin varnish is a very old one I would like to try some I don't know about redissolving it. I think varnishes that require heat to dissolve don't dissolve once cured the same ones like shellac, which only require soaking in the spirit, do, but I am not 100% sure

I have used shellac i think the damar is harder and more resistant but I am still experimenting. I have some blond and garnet shellac and have used them on bows as well

Not much on tung oil but then most of what is sold as tung oil isn't

I also have used a linseed oil beeswax mix that produces a mellow glow in the wood as opposed to a high gloss finish. Probably more authentic but I like experimenting with the gloss finishes and natural coloring agents
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 06:15:20 am by jaxenro »

Offline neuse

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2017, 06:43:12 am »
Very interesting, thanks for posting.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2017, 07:49:33 am »
There was some research on finishes posted here several years ago, I believe the research was done by the military.  Linseed oil was at the bottom of the list for moisture resistance and wax was at the top, Tung oil and shellac were somewhere in between.  Essentially though there is nothing that is completely moisture proof

P.S.  I've used cobalt drier before and didn't see any advantages to it's use, still have some in my shop somewhere.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline gfugal

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2017, 08:50:24 am »
I'm cjrious about the beeswax finish. If its mixed with the lonseedoil does ot help it soak in? If youbdon't use the oil with it will ot soak in by just rubbing it on, or do you have to do something else like heat it up.

Another question. What finishes can you use on a sinew or pther nacking?
Greg,
No risk, no gain. Expand the mold and try new things.

Offline jaxenro

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2017, 09:32:43 am »
I use a premixed oil and wax finish made by "original wood finishes" you put a small bit on and rub it in the wood dries really slowly

Don't know about sinew backings but wood and rawhide backings finish just like the belly wood

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2017, 09:35:37 am »
The friction from your hands helps oils sink in in a hand rubbed finish.
 I've used pitch varnish for sealing sinew wraps on arrows and sometime the shafts. I guess this not technically a varnish because it has no oil in it, just hard, brittle pitch dissolved in alcohol.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline jaxenro

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2017, 11:19:07 am »
Friction and the heat generated from the friction help the oil to penetrate the wood

Marc what did you use the cobalt drier in? From what I understand adding it to boiled linseed oil which already has dries in it could actually be worse as could using too much. I am still playing with it myself to try to get the correct balance

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2017, 08:04:11 pm »
I added the drier to pure untreated Tung oil, still took forever to dry
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com