Author Topic: String alignment over time  (Read 1795 times)

Offline DC

String alignment over time
« on: May 31, 2017, 11:19:01 am »
For reflexed bows is the wood stable enough for the for the alignment to stay good over the years or do you have to tweek the alignment now and then. Especially bows that were a PITA to get aligned in the first place.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: String alignment over time
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2017, 12:16:39 pm »
Neither reflex or deflex should have any affect on string alignment. Once the bow is aligned it should stay that way.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2017, 01:36:46 pm »
I meant to say recurved if it makes any difference. Sometimes you have to twist the limb to get the string to lay just right and I was wondering if RH variations over a year might cause the limbs to untwist/twist and throw that alignment.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2017, 01:38:12 pm »
anything is possible with a natural material bow,,
but usually not an issue,, (AT)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2017, 02:16:21 pm »
If the material was dry when you started, it cant move unless you stand the bow up on a tip in the corner for a few years.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2017, 02:32:32 pm »
Great. Sometimes it takes a lot of fiddling(heating) to get everything right and I'd hate to think that I would have to do it all again sometime down the road.
Thanks

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2017, 03:07:28 pm »
If your bow gets hot, say in bright sunlight it may revert back to it's original form but no bow should be left in bright sunlight so it heats up.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2017, 04:12:26 pm »
I found a spot in my house where it's close to 50% RH most of the time. I hung my bow rack there :D :D

Offline PatM

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2017, 04:57:18 pm »
If it sits for a lengthy period through moisture cycling(which is pretty much impossible to avoid) it can drift a bit.   Keeping a bow in use is good for its alignment.