Author Topic: Barrel tapering arrow shafts?  (Read 6988 times)

Offline loon

Barrel tapering arrow shafts?
« on: May 11, 2017, 02:11:06 pm »
What are the easiest ways to do this? Would it be a good idea to get spined shafts and then just barrel taper them?
I thought of chucking the shaft to a drill and then putting it between sandstone blocks

Offline jeffp51

Re: Barrel tapering arrow shafts?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2017, 02:39:38 pm »
I use a drill and a belt sander.  I spin the shaft on the point end until it fits in my taper tool for glue-on points.  then I reduce the nock end until it fits my (11/32) jig for nocks. Then I work the middle down to match spine and weight in the arrow set I am making.  With osier shoot shafts this usually results in a barreled shaft that is a little thicker toward the tip--maybe a third of the way between tip and the center point of the shaft.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2017, 07:20:12 pm »
I made a jig for rear tapering shafts and did it just like Jeff did but using my jig instead of the belt sander.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2017, 09:20:09 pm »
Thanks, Jeff. I have some "oversize" shafts that will benefit from your technique.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2017, 11:08:12 am »
My Red Osier shafts are actually barreled. Like Jeff said, I start with oversized shoots and rasp them down. Put fat end forward skinny end notch. First I file them down entire length till proper spine. Then I file down forward 6 or so inches to get to weight. They end up barreled with thickest area about 8" back from point. Keep in mind with a tappered shaft it flexes back further requiring a stiffer spine then a parallel shaft. Usually about 8 to 10 lbs heavier for me.
Bjrogg 
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2017, 11:25:36 am »
I'm kinda curious how folks barrel taper and leave the ottoman bulbous nocks.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2017, 10:15:45 am »
Those are dandy nocks.Think I could just do that by hand but usually just horn insert or wrap them being parallel.Don't know how they might have done it.Looks to me like another maticulus step making arrows.Bottom line is if they are safe to shoot I'm sure.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline willie

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2017, 11:38:20 am »
Urufu

good question, I have been wondering the same for making darts with bulbous knocks.

Possibly spinning them in  a lathe or lathe-type set up? where the wider knock portion remains near the chuck, to be finished last?

Are bulbous knocks typically wider than the widest part of the shaft?

Offline loon

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2017, 12:03:00 am »
Here's one way of making bulbous nocks. At least some Turkic arrows were done like this... then the nocks can be wider than the widest part of the shaft.

Code: [Select]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHUr93JMjqI
I'm mostly thinking of barreling arrows for hopefully more spine/release forgiveness?!, and less gpp with my bow (more speed)

Urufu, I've read something like, using a thumb plane, but maybe starting past where the nock would be or stopping before the nock.. then after barreling, the nock is carved. I think I've seen pictures too..
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 12:07:00 am by loon »

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2017, 10:05:48 am »
I'm pretty sure the type I posted the nock is the same size as the full size shaft. I too think it's probably done by chucking the nock end is a lathe or drill and spinning the shaft then carving or sanding the barrel taper in then turn the arrow around and sand the nock smooth. That's just a guess though. I think I'll ask on the ATARN facebook group and report back what I hear.

Offline willie

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2017, 12:26:52 pm »
Some of the NA larger bulbous nocks look easier to make by adding materiel with a glue up like in the video, but I have never read anywhere where existing arrows show evidence of it being done that way and some of the small game blunts look like the fletcher started with a 3/4 " dia. limb and scraped/split away everything that was not needed for the finished arrow.... very tedious

Urufu
thanks for asking around,  please update if you learn more.

Offline jaxenro

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2017, 01:05:41 pm »
some of the small game blunts look like the fletcher started with a 3/4 " dia. limb and scraped/split away everything that was not needed for the finished arrow

Labor used to be very cheap so things that don't look logical to the modern eye were perfectly practical to the ancient one

I have heard the case made, plausibly, that Ancient Rome never developed steam power despite understanding the concept because slave labor was cheaper than steam would have been. Why develop a labor saving device when labor is basically worthless?

But even closer to our own days Colt percussion revolvers were converted to cartridge by modifying the original cylinder unlike today when we would just start with a new cylinder. Why? Because at that time the material (steel) was more expensive than the labor needed to convert it and today the reverse is true. At $5 a week (which was a good wage) a days labor cost less than starting with a new a cylinder sized block of good steel.

Offline loon

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2017, 06:43:50 am »
but I have never read anywhere where existing arrows show evidence of it being done that way
Turkic/Turkish fletchers definitely did.

Code: [Select]
http://www.turkishculture.org/lifestyles/turkish-culture-portal/turkish-flight-arrows-554.htm?type=1
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 07:12:22 am by loon »

Offline Buck67

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2017, 10:13:34 am »
Mike Lea makes a tool that makes ramrods from square stock.  It works on a lathe and uses a handheld steadyrest/cutter that allows you to make the arrows any shape you want.  Very handy when making English Long Bow arrows.  He mostly sells at muzzleloading events, he will be at Friendship this spring.  His company name is Michael Lea and Daughter Gunsmith.  You can Google and find his contact information.

I have one of the tools and it is very easy to use.  Making a barrel shaped arrow and leaving room for a bulbous nock would be no problem.