Author Topic: Groove for stringer  (Read 985 times)

cool_98_555

Groove for stringer
« on: May 06, 2017, 03:28:23 pm »
Hello,

I'm going to cut grooves in my tips to use a stringer but my tips beyond my nocks are only 1/2".  Is it still possible to cut grooves in the tips only 1/4" from the tip for a stringer?  Will it still hold safely?

Offline DC

Re: Groove for stringer
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2017, 03:51:49 pm »
I've seen them where the top groove was just one wide groove but the half closest to the tip was deeper for the stringer, if that makes any sense at all. I've never done it but it looked like it would do the job without having two grooves. There may be a downside that I don't know about.

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2017, 04:06:31 pm »
I can see that working. You'd probably have to make sure you have it wide enough that when strung, the main string doesn't bind on the stringer.
An 1/8" of wood at the tip is plenty to help hold the stringer in place. It really doesn't take much to hold it in place, since most of the force from te stringer will be perpendicular to the limbs. Working on a heavy persimmon bow that only has that much wood past the stringing grooves and I cut them across the back. It seems to be holding fine for about the 15-20 times I've used them so far. Before heat treating I had it pulling 150# around the 22" mark. the biggest danger to the thin strip of wood, would be how delicate it would be. And how easy they would be to break off by the time the tips are cleaned up much.

Kyle

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2017, 04:26:53 pm »
But be careful of going to close or tapering out to nothing.

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2017, 04:28:57 pm »
Apparently this happened while it was braced and leaning against a wall. Maybe the glue(CA) let go. The big split goes halfway down the limb.

cool_98_555

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2017, 12:24:07 am »
Thanks for the tip!