Author Topic: Dealing with hollow limbs ?  (Read 962 times)

Offline Stick Bender

Dealing with hollow limbs ?
« on: April 14, 2017, 05:39:18 am »
Morning all I have a 68 in. 1 1/2 wide lever bow with 8 1/2 levers Im working on that Im trying to get right, the one limb has hollows at different areas the center ones per recommendation to leave slightly thicker during  tiller but the outer edge is the one that concerns me the hollow rises to a sharp edge on the outer limb Im wondering if I should completly round over so its flush with the botom of the hollow ? There is 8/1000s difference in thickness I was intending on making this a self bow but wondering with the stress of this design if I shouldnt back it ? The bow will be pulled to 30 in. Other then those issues the hedge is fairly clean !
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline Stick Bender

Re: Dealing with hollow limbs ?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2017, 05:40:01 am »
Cross section

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2017, 06:08:02 am »
Interesting dilemma, I'll be waiting to see the responses to this. Osage can handle some pretty wonky grain patterns.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2017, 07:57:14 am »
Watch the bend of the limb and tiller accordingly. Be sure that limb doesn't  with that hollow section.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2017, 09:28:04 am »
Ok I went back and rounded off the high ridges so all transition from limb to hollow is smooth Im thinking maybe tiller to 24 in. & raw hide back this one just to play it safe ! Its a medium ringed stave so Im still thinking to back or not ?