Author Topic: some cool stone  (Read 2597 times)

Offline paulc

some cool stone
« on: April 27, 2017, 08:21:54 am »
Inspired by Parnell's post featuring his Flint Ridge points... I am currently making points of the "vaguely triangular and sharp" type...

Offline Parnell

Re: some cool stone
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2017, 08:30:41 am »
They are looking better than my first points, for sure.  It's going to be fun to watch your progress.
Where do you live Paul?
1’—>1’

Offline paulc

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2017, 08:47:58 am »
On the islands east of Savannah, GA.  Tybee to be exact.  Paul

Offline Parnell

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2017, 09:23:55 am »
Gotcha.  Well not too far away.  Hope you'll hit Silver River Knapp In next winter in Ocala.  That's 4 hours north of me in Naples, FL.
How is your material supply?  My learning curve increased quickly when I got some Georgetown to knap.  It's very uniform so it shows you clearly what you are doing and flakes really well...even untreated.
1’—>1’

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2017, 02:56:54 pm »
if you can get down to where I'm at I can fix you up with some Georgetown or Sonora.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline paulc

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2017, 09:55:05 pm »
Thanks Mullet, another reason to come see you! 

I had a bit more than a 5gal pail of the flint Ridge stuff, mostly chips and chunks I picked up off the ground at Nethers. The 2 or 3 pieces big enough to actually knap I have reduced to gravel. I've been through 1 20lb box of obsidian I got off eBay several years ago. About half way through another 20lbs of obsidian I got recently out of KY. And today I ordered 20lb of Keokuk, already cooked. The vendor didn't have any Georgetown otherwise I would purchased that instead.  And I've purchased 2 Keokuk preforms and ruined 1 of 3 flint Ridge preforms I ordered.  Next time I head north to see the in-laws I hope to get another bucket or two of flint Ridge stuff.

I will have plenty of hunting points-strictly utilitarian type stuff. But no art, and no shapes I did on purpose or with fore thought...

I have taken up lapidary with some of my scraps, that's pretty cool and good for brownie points won the wife.

Paul

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2017, 02:30:16 pm »
Paul, I grew up in Savannah and spent lots of time at Tybee. Good friends used to live on the N.E. corner 12th and Butler.  If you can get over to Little Tybee there used to be ship's ballast stones all over. They were used by sailing ships coming from England as ballast. Those ships went back to England with cotton, indigo and Navy stores. Same stones that pave River Street in Savannah. There should be some good knapping stone among them, English flint, etc..
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline paulc

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2017, 09:17:33 pm »
Thanks Pat, I didn't think to look for that on Little Tybee...I knew about river st.  I will have to get the kayak out and head over.

Paul