Author Topic: Design for hhb?  (Read 880 times)

Offline bushboy

Design for hhb?
« on: April 14, 2017, 12:49:47 pm »
I received a call nice stave from marc,thanks!the first one I tried cracked deeply while recurving and landed in the ufo pile.there's plenty of lenght a width so there are no restriction in those terms.im thinking of a stiff handle ,64ttt and 50@ 28".thoughts,thx's bush!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Design for hhb?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2017, 12:58:32 pm »
HHB can be a bit though to bend. I use steam and even then usually at least an hour and turn up to a really good rolling boil for the last 5 minutes. Shape crosssection you wish to bend in a D crosssection. Have all clamps ready and I use a piece of light gauge steel on belly side to help keep grain from lifting then slowly bend don't force it but it does take a bit of pressure. You could just go straight tip to
Good Luck gotta go
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2017, 12:59:50 pm »
As far as design, treat it like the elm bows you build and you will be just fine bushy.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2017, 01:11:21 pm »
Thx's,the first attempt bent fine,and I treated it like elm and hit it with a heat gun shortly after using localized steam and the crack opened up.probaly a little more sensitive to moisture?
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.