Author Topic: Fishing Hooks...  (Read 1634 times)

Offline Parnell

Fishing Hooks...
« on: April 07, 2017, 12:39:58 pm »
I think this is my 4th? snapped attempt.

Any technique tips?  Better to have a perfectly flat "preform" than a curved flake?  These suckers aren't so easy!
1’—>1’

Offline Outbackbob48

Re: Fishing Hooks...
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2017, 02:10:15 pm »
Steve, I made one a couple of months back and it took me 3 hrs. I tell everyone if you get snagged on the bottom ya better strip down and go get your hook , Stone hooks are not throw aways for sure. Good Luck on your hooks. Bob

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2017, 02:56:54 pm »
I've completed one out of four.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2017, 06:03:46 pm »
My record is 3 out of at least a dozen attempts. I found that those lop sided preforms that are thicker down one edge are less likely to snap in half. Flake from the thin side, trying to keep the thickness where the shank of the hook will be. Keep an eye on that centerline along your edge. If you try to flake from the the top side of it or sometimes even too close to it,  you'll halve it. 
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline 1442

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2017, 11:35:51 pm »
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,56446.msg772653.html#msg772653
Hopefully this link works.
That post shows a preform and a few process pics of making a hook.
I like the preform to be straight and the same thickness as the desired hook, but it can be thinned some during the final flake passes if it starts out to thick or you just want to get it really thin in the end.
I need to make a new video or get a copy of one that was filmed when I made a hook last fall at the SWLA knap in.
A video would explain everything that I can't with typing and show how easy it really is to make a hook.
I've refined the process and have made a lot of hooks over the last few years and hardly ever break one anymore.
You'd be amazed how easy and simple it is to make one once you see the process.

Offline 1442

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2017, 11:44:20 pm »
I've actually gotten more comfortable making them since that post and use a soft leather hand pad through most of the process until I get well into the hollow area, then I'll swap to a notched pad for the last few passes to get the finished shape

Offline 1442

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2017, 08:34:10 am »
The video of making a hook has been posted on FREEZECRACKED you tube channel, titled terry dewitt making a hook or something like that.
The video shows the process pretty well of how to flake the hook shape in a hurry. The sun was going down and we had to go fast.
Thanks to Keith for filming and to Freezecracked for posting it.
I hope it is helpful.

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2017, 09:07:13 am »
Definitly a very useful video
thankyou very much !!  :OK