Author Topic: new challenge... should prove interesting  (Read 2860 times)

Offline bowmunky13

• eat more human
new challenge... should prove interesting
« on: March 27, 2008, 10:27:05 pm »
hey all you bow fanatics.. here is a new challenge for you all... a bow cut shaped tillered and finished completely with out the aid of steel... that is right you have to use stone to do everything ... if you have any questions please ask... oh yeeeaaah pictures are a must. ;D
death by natural causes

Offline carpenter374

Re: new challenge... should prove interesting
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 10:54:22 pm »
as fun as it would be to do, i wouldnt call it a 'new' challenge. aint nothin new under the sun:-> check out traditional bowyer's bible vol 3 chapter 'a stone age bow'.
"Those who would sacrifice their freedom for safety will find that they will inherit neither." -Ben Franklin     

--Carpenter

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 11:23:24 pm »
Jamie has posted a build along using stone tools.  I have one going right now that will blow your mind if I ever get it finished.  ;D Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008, 12:09:13 am »
Jamie has done several. Bob has a build-along going on one right now in the "caveman" section. Here's one that a friend and I made last year at the Hickory, NC shoot-Pat did some work on it too. This one was made completely with stone tools from a growing hickory tree to a shooting bow in three days. Surprisingly, it's not that difficult- those stone tools work much better than you would think.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline bowmunky13

• eat more human
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008, 12:48:17 am »
srry didnt mean new.. just thought it would be interesting to see some of the amazing minds of bowyering at work with that... like with the knapping ... "john stone" challenge... i was interested in what would be produced...
death by natural causes

Offline DanaM

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2008, 08:49:24 am »
Here's a hickory jamie did with stone and sent me in the Christmas Trade ;D

[attachment deleted by admin]
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI