Author Topic: ash .....? how is it best used for a bow  (Read 6177 times)

Offline bowmunky13

• eat more human
ash .....? how is it best used for a bow
« on: March 13, 2008, 12:05:35 am »
i have two pieces of ash that i bought online... they are really beaeutiful pieces of art waiting to be birthed... i have made bows (3) from lemonwood and a few stickbows when i was a young'n. i really would appreciate it if i could get some help on how to treat these two beautiful staves till they become the weapons they were grown to be.........
                  thanks... james "bowmunky13" floyd
death by natural causes

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: ash .....? how is it best used for a bow
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 12:13:50 am »
Do you know what kind of ash? White ash is pretty good bow wood, some of the others are weaker, but will still make a bow. My favorite designs for ash are long overbuilt Comstock-style flatbows 1 3/4" -2" wide fades to midlimb or a bit past midlimb; or Eastern Woodland style slightly-bendy-handle flatbows about 68" long, 1 3/8" wide midlimb to midlimb. Ash makes a pretty good pyramid-style bow, too.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 09:43:23 am »
Don't use Ash much anymore but I use to and the dimension's Hillbilly said is
about what I used without the bendy handle.  :) Good luck and let us know
how it is going.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 12:22:57 pm »
I've only attempted one Ash bow - back in the early learning curve era ;D. I made it too short, bent it too early and too much - it took a lot of set. I gave it to a kid and it's still shooting - seems to be a very tough forgiving wood. I have some more drying, going to try some pyramids with at least a couple of em..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 02:40:18 pm »
Ash is pretty good....as already mentioned.  The only advice I can give (from personal experience) is to make sure the bow has a flat belly. You can crown the back (slightly) if your wood is not already crowned.  Ash also likes a sinew or cloth backing if you plan on making a short bow.  ;D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline backgardenbowyer

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2008, 09:51:20 pm »
Just finishing an ash bow now - I've tested it once but want to alter the tiller.  It's 1 5/8 wide for almost all of the limbs, narrowing at the tips and to the handle (1 3/8) which is semi bendy.  Currently 70" nock to nock and has taken no set.  The weight will come down when I retiller it so I'll planning to pike it to about 68", and expecting a little set to appear. Belly is completely flat, and I'm aiming for a weight between 45 -50lbs at 27.5"

I'll post pics when its done.

I tried to make a 60lbs bow out of a stave from the same log - kept it plenty wide (over 2") but it broke after about 50 arrows - I don't think the wood was strong enough for that weight. My experience so far is that ash is fine if you don't ask too much of it.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2008, 09:31:03 am »
Also, there is a lot of variation between the species. I have no doubt that you could make a 120 lb. bow from white ash, it's tough as nails- 603 would be a very reasonable weight for it. I've made several close to 60# with no problems. Green, black, pumpkin, and some of the other ashes are weaker wood than the white. I've seen pics on here of several nice bows made from European ash.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline akila

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2008, 12:36:27 pm »
Hi...this bow is made from an ash board, wich wass not perfect at all..it has some runn offs on one ends.....and the bow its 68#@ 28" and it seams to be ok.....wite ash its a verry strong wood

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2008, 08:11:00 pm »
wei have pop ash down here in FL, i believe its more related to the white ash. it has round leaves. it is better than any hickory i have had.  that particular wood is great.   i dont see in very much but i have 2 stave close to working time.  if anyone ever has access to pop ash go for it.
maybe eddie or bob has worked with it  - Ryan
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline bowmunky13

• eat more human
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2008, 11:50:03 pm »
thanx much guys.. i have a limited amount of time between work and getting ready for redeployment....i am planning to have my tools and some staves shipped to iraq after i go there... but anyhoo. thanks much.
death by natural causes

Joe M

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2008, 02:20:24 am »
I've made a few bows from ash - backing them with maple and am very pleased with the them.  I did fined another use for ash.  I like to use it to back hickory, birch, and maple,,, I then back the ash backing with maple.  Seems to work very well! :)