Author Topic: tanning a muskrat  (Read 3504 times)

Offline Ed Brooks

tanning a muskrat
« on: April 06, 2017, 10:12:29 am »
I got some skins in the Christmas trad this past yr, I'm finally getting around to start tanning one. I got some commercial tanning solution from a big box  sporting goods store. well here goes. Ed
I soaked the skin until it was soft enough to turn right side in. I did a bit of fleshing, I will have some more to do tonight. Right now I have the hid salted and hanging.
I went old school with my scraper and it works really well. More to come.  Thanks for looking Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: tanning a muskrat
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 10:45:23 am »
Ed you'll have to be a little careful how aggressive you get with the scrapping on the rats. It's really pretty easy to tear one. If I remember right that was a fresh hide from this year. The "stale" hides are worse for tearing. You might want to soak the rat and mink in some water with dawn dish soap for a bit. They are both oily type hides that they recommend degreasing. If you could pickle with some salt and acid get ph down to between 1 and 2 would help set hair before tanning. The fox will rehydrate pretty fast and really shouldn't need any more scrapping at all. They like to slip fur around ears. Make sure you use NON Iondized salt. I've used that tan before with good results. If you have strechers it works good to let them dry back out on stretchers and take them off and work hide as they are drying. I usually put them on fur out for awhile to dry the fur some. You can put your tan solutions on turn fur out wrap in a towel put in plastic bag over night too. Good Luck I think that was the prettiest red I got this year.
Bjrogg
Feel free to PM me
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 10:53:55 am »
I've tanned several mrats using more primitive methods and can get then very soft. With rats they have very thin skin that tears pretty easy. With brain tanning,  I usually leave that flashy saddle on to start with. During the first breaking cycle after oiling that saddle with start to break apart and peel off. This is when I remove the saddle. Then I reoil and break them again. This time they turn out soft if the saddle is gone. Because of this, mrats are tougher to tan than the fox and mink will be. The fox needs no special prep, like the mrat with it's saddle or a raccon with there thick necks that need thinned. The mink could use a little degreasing for easier oil absorption but isn't necessary. Just follow the instructions well and you'll have a good product in the end.

I look forward to seeing your hides all finished up.

Kyle

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2017, 11:17:55 am »
Bjrogg, that hide is thin for sure. I'm surprised how little the stone scraper actually scrapes marks in the skin, I'm taking it slow and easy, don't want to mess this up. I did wash the rat ones in dawn so far. I am using non Iodized salt. I started with one at a time hoping not to mess up too much if any.  :o thanks again. this is the stuff I love to get into. someone on anther sites set me up with some videos of a guy using this same tanning solution.

Catcher, this is my 1st rat hid, I thought about using brains, but thats still a test subject for me. I have some brain saved up from hunting season last yr. you think I should just leave the rest of the saddle until after I use the tan solution before removing any more of it?

Thanks for the comments,sorry for rambling.  Ed 
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline Zuma

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2017, 04:40:09 pm »
Ramble on Ed lol and others
It's all education to me :)
Thanks Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.